QST archive on-line

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WA9SVD, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, good. :)

I agree. In fact, for a lot of people it negates buying a bunch of old handbooks to get the best construction articles.

2. K0SPN

K0SPN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I was wrong.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it legal to admit that ??? :confused:
    LOL, of course.

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah! Having someone else called by my name doesn't bother me! In fact, there are a "few" other people with the name Glen around.

Now when I was in high school and ran track and cross-country there was a local newspaper sports writer that, for some reason, always called me Clem! I could never get it through to him that my name was Glen.

I think the only time that he got my name right was when he wrote a big article on the two sets of brothers who had run the mile for the high school. One of the sets of brothers was Willy Lubs and his brother Dale. The other set of brothers was myself and my brother Keith. However, I didn't have a brother at the time! Keith was my father's cousin!

Glen, K9STH

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The searching hasn't changed...but now you can LOOK at them all. Used to have to order reprints.

eric

6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

I started another thread on this in the News forum (didn't know about this one, or it wasn't hear yet when I submitted to News). In that thread, W1RFI has provided instructions on what to do if you find a bad link, unusable scan, etc, along with some other interesting info.

8. WA9SVD

9. WA9SVD

Just FYI, you apparently posted later, so have some of the comments and "corrections" that are inevitable in an early offering of such magnitude. I'm sure there ARE glitches, and that they will be corrected in due time.
    Whatever it's good news for everyone involved or even just interested.

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

LOOK carefully at the PDF scans of the articles.
    The 1970's QST articles that I looked at -- the quality is sub-standard (IMHO) -- and not good for an aging amateur radio population.

It appears that these are 75 or 150 dpi scans (HP scanner in mid-1990s technology).
    Cushcraft also used this lower resolution for their installation manuals -- making them hard to read for detail.

300 dpi is the baseline standard for laser printers,
    with many newer models easily in the 600 dpi printing range.
    Professional printing is in the 1200 dpi range.
    The Ricoh office printer/copier in our office has a PDF scan function
    that is better than this (it does a 300 dpi minimum in color, with option for high resolution!)

Now IF the ARRL offers CD-ROM of the issues as PDF in the future -- it better be of high quality than this.

w9gb

Kudos for the move by QST/ARRL. I see after my post that Ed Hare, K1RFI commented in the News section .. that these were migrated from the earlier QSTView scans -- some at 150/200 dpi. The challenge is to IMPROVE the QUALITY of what is here -- OR provide magnifying glasses with annual membership fee.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.