QSO's on FT8

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN6KKW, Mar 30, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KN6KKW

KN6KKW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have WSJT setup and everything seems to be working but I haven't been able to make any QSO's on 20/40/80m.
    There is tons of activity but regardless of how much I call CQ I never get a response.

I'm new to digital modes and am unsure if this is normal or not...

I'm on a 991a using wsjt-x

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you receiving plenty of stations?

3. N7VGO

N7VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

How are you setup? Do you have a SWR/Power meter on your Xmitter cable and is it showing power out?

Val

KN6KKW likes this.
  4. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is your ALC running at? Should be low with medium power output on power meter. You adjust your sound card speaker output setting to make ALC low but as a decent 35-45 watts out; you do not run it at 100 watts or will burn things up over the long haul. You are hearing all the folks but no-one is hearing you. Are you sure your only seeing WSPR receiving stations and not those that actually heard you just like this chart? [OP said in another post WSPR was fine, not sure it was] Folks that hear you on this chart will have a Flag with the number of mins ago they heard you.... Note that is says they last time they heard you was 26 hours ago listed under the 20meter box at the top.. Something is not set right...or changed... upload_2021-3-29_21-55-16.png

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  5. KM8V

KM8V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K8XG likes this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

062 Data Mode = OTHERS

064 OTHER DISP (SSB) = 1500 Hz

065 OTHER SHIFT (SSB) = 1500 Hz

066 DATA LCUT FRED = OFF

068 DATA HCUT FREQ = OFF

070 DATA IN SELECT = REAR

072 DATA PORT SELECT = USB

In addition to menu settings, you will want to set the following modes and functions. Press F button to get to the function items.

MODE = DATA-USB

METER = ALC and Switch Back to Power Out to check medium power if you do not have an outboard Watt Meter. Mine normally has the ALC about 4/5s the way to the red line when I get 38 watts out using the speaker audio control... with Power out set to 38 watts in the menu.

WIDTH = 3000

NAR/WIDE = W 3000

7. KN6KKW

I'm receiving sooo many stations and when i go to psk reporter or ham spot it shows that i have received a bunch but haven't transmitted anything.

8. KN6KKW

No i don't have one inline.. It is just my 991a > tuner > antenna.

9. KN6KKW

I'm embarrassed to say that I am not too comfortable or familiar with ALC. I have it on as my main meter on the display but it never seems to change.
    I assumed wspr was working because the wspr.net map shows my contacts (I thought). I'm sure i'm missing something pretty basic...but i haven't changed anything on my radio that i can remember and on wsjt it looks like everything is working ok, no errors or problems transmitting. I don't know.

10. KN6KKW

I have all of those settings correct and the computer switches into data-usb automatically. ALC is setup as my meter but ive never seen it move at all.