Qso confirmation process

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by WD9IWC, Jan 5, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD9IWC

WD9IWC Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the best way to get a Qso confirmation and is it really realistic to expect? Do Ham's generally confirm their qso if requested? Thanks, Wd9iwc

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Different hams do it different ways, so if you want to maximize your chances, you have to be flexible. The electronic confirmations methods are easiest, once things are set up. LoTW, QRZ, and eQSL.cc are three methods that are in widespread use. Paper QSL cards are still popular, either via direct postal mail, or the QSL bureaus.

Many hams indicate their QSL preferences on their QRZ profile. If you want a particular confirmation, ask on the air, and/or look up the other party's QSL methods on their QRZ profiles.

Personally, I'll eventually upload all HF contacts to LoTW, eQSL.cc, and QRZ.com. I don't normally log VHF/UHF contacts, but if you ask me to log it while we're on the air, I will, and I'll confirm it (typically only for unusually long-distance simplex, or somebody's first time on the air, or something unusual for some other reason). I'll confirm by paper QSL card if I get one from you, or if the QSO was especially memorable.

3. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's pretty much how I do also. Using EQSL and LOTW, I average about 70% confirmations. I like getting cards as well and will always send one back if I randomly get one in the mail.

4. WD9IWC

Thanks guys. How do eqsl's work? I am trying to confirm my qso's in order to receive a QRZ award. I understand that I must be a subscriber to use lotw, yes?

5. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For eQSL info, go to: www.eqsl.cc
    For LoTW info, go to: http://www.arrl.org/logbook-of-the-world

Once you have established a LoTW account with ARRL (at no cost), you can enable the LoTW access feature in your QRZ Logbook. There are two levels of access - you are allowed to download your LoTW records to QRZ (at no cost), which increases the probability of QSO Confirmations as QRZ provides award credit to LoTW confirmed records (in addition to your QRZ confirmed records).

If you are QRZ subscriber at the XML or higher level, QRZ also provides you with the ability to directly import (upload) your QRZ Logbook records to LoTW; or, alternately, with the ability to export (download) to an ADIF file that in turn can be used to import your QRZ records to LoTW's TQSL software or other logbook programs (such as eQSL). https://ssl.qrz.com/products/index.html

WD9IWC likes this.
  6. WD9IWC

Ok, i will look into the arrl lotw program. Tnx es 73

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Remember that Log of the World isn't technically a log - you cannot simply enter a contact in. You must submit it as an encrypted TQSL file (all explained at the LoTW already posted). If you want to log contacts you'll need log software (N3FJP and a bunch of others - Google "ham radio logging software") - find one you like that can export to LoTW (many can do this directly). Once you configure it, you just hit the "Send to LoTW button" or equivalent.

Or hit the "Export ADIF file" to your computer, then manually "sign and upload an ADIF File" from the TQSL software... that works just fine too - just a few more steps

But you can also just use pen and paper - however, at some point you'll have to create an ADIF file (Google "create an ADIF file) that can then be signed by TQSL under LoTW and upload that way. Note that your clock and date MUST be in UTC and MUST be within 30 minutes of the "other guy" who uploads or the confirmation will never happen - make sure you use an accurate clock for all logging, and always use UTC date, not local date.

LoTW is primarily all about earning many ARRL awards - DXCC, WAS, WAC, VUCC, 5BDXCC, etc. etc. etc.

I hope all that makes sense - it's a lot easier than it sounds, trust me. Just read up at ARRL for how to set all this up

Dave
    W7UUU

KN7S and WD9IWC like this.
  8. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

And that's a good point Dave brought up about the logging program. I forgot to mention that in my previous post. I use Rumlog and it's simple to use and uploading your contacts to LOTW and/or EQSL is a snap.

WD9IWC likes this.
  9. WD9IWC

Thanks to you, Dave and everyone who responded to my question. I am just getting back into Ham radio and seems like a lot has changed! I will look for different logging programs and I have requested and received my TQSL certificate so I guess I am on my way, Hi. You all have given me more help and direction than you will ever know. Much appreciated folks! 73' s to all of you!