QSL response from Germany

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K6UJ, Jan 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K6UJ

K6UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent a SASE and QSL to a QSL manager in Germany. USPS first class mail. How long would you estimate
    it will take for a reply ?

Bob
    K6UJ

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This may sound like I am making fun of you, but it may take from a week to a couple years. That is just the way it works. On one hand, it sucks having to wait, on the other, it's cool getting cards from a year or two later. If you don't get your card right away, don't fret it.

K3XR likes this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you really sent an SASE (self addressed STAMPED envelope) you may never get a reply or might only get a reply via the bureau. You probably meant SAE (self addressed envelope) and enclosed the requested method of payment for return postage. US stamps are not usable in other countries.

International Reply Coupons used to be the standard item enclosed for the cost of return postage. But lots of post offices issue them so rarely that they can't even find them if you try to buy them. They also have to be post marked at the time of purchase and some postal clerks don't know that and don't stamp them. They also eventually expire. The most common method now is to include the requested number of US dollar bills, usually referred to as 'green stamps'. The amount can vary and you need to make sure you check the QSL managers QRZ page for exact instructions. I could be anywhere from $2 to $4 or so.

If you did all I described above you will probably receive the return card in a reasonable period of time; say 2 to 8 weeks or so. But it can vary. If after about 8 weeks you haven't received the card it's OK to eMail the manager to see if they received your request; unless they say otherwise on their QRZ page or other web instruction site such as a DXpedition web page.

WG7X likes this.
  4. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

You should have sent at least 3 USD along with your envelope and QSL. As others have said, the real turn-around time is wholly dependent upon the QSL manager.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who was the station/manager?

6. K6UJ

K6UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info guys.
    I should have provided more info. I enclosed a QSL and self addressed envelope and $4 to cover postage to DL2JRM for a
    QSO when he was J28XX. I found it in my log and forgot about it. Djibouti is an ATNO for me. I emailed him and he confirmed
    that I was in the log. :)

K8PG likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Cool!

Could still take WEEKS or MONTHS.

Just be patient and see what happens.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of patience is required for the QSLing game. Managers have real lives and they may do things like assign the last Saturday of the month to handle this month's QSLs; stuff like that. It's as individual as a snowflake.

They sometimes also have to wait on reprints of the QSL cards or for the DX station to deliver the logs to the manager. All kinds of things can delay a card and you and I don't really hear about it.

If the expedition was some time ago, it is likelier you will get a relatively rapid response. But these things end up being measured in weeks for even fast turnaround.

I usually don't even bother to inquire about a card I sent until nine months after I send it. Yes, really. I probably should make it more like six months, but amazing things happen to these cards and a lot of it, we never hear about. If you just wait at least a couple of months before you inquire, most of these things sort themselves out and the card just shows up one fine day.

9. VA3KRT

VA3KRT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 10 QSOs with Germany, not one QSL. I understand some are direct or bureau only. Yet, I find it perplexing that out of 10 contacts, not one happened to use QRZ or LoTW or eQSL. A country of 85 million or so, prosperous, loads of hams, nothing at all like responses from Italy or Spain, etc. What's up with that?? I find it very odd.

10. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Not my experience ... I find the DL's very good QSL'ers whether electronic or paper (almost all via the Bureau). Give it some time.

K8PG likes this.