QSL protocol

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KF7AJU, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF7AJU

KF7AJU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure where to ask this question. I'm not sure about qsl protocol.

1) I made a contact via satellite and sent a qsl e-card via mac-logger. In the mail I received a reply QSL postcard. Should I send one back via snail mail?

2) Another contact made via satellite sent me a postcard though I didn't make any initial contact as I wasn't sure we were contacted clearly. Is the proper response via postcard or is an email qsl acceptable?

I don't know the expected reply? I do know if I sent a postcard I would want one but is that the general opinion? What about a contact where my initial response is an email qsl card and the reply is a mailed qsl card? Is it bad manners to respond to a mailed qsl with a emailed qsl? (my guess is = yes it is bad manners)

2. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The general rule that I follow (and seems to be what most follow) is, if you receive a physical/paper QSL, that operator would like a paper QSL in return.

Sending some form of E-mail QSL in return to a paper card would be considered bad form in most circles.

Brad

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

An e-mailed QSL probably has no standing with much of anyone.
    They wouldn't likely be accepted by any awards program that requires a card for confirmation.
    If someone took the trouble to send me a card (even without an SASE) I make it a point to get one back to them, even if it is overseas.
    If they ask for a card for WAS or something, I will get it in the mail the next day and tell them to just send a card, no SASE necessary. Some have done the same for me, even overseas stations.
    I get cards from the QSL bureau all the time that were already confirmed via LOTW months ago. I still get a card to them via the QSL bureau.
    I do not however use EQSL.

4. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

I will agree with other so far.

The generally accepted polite way of responding to QSLs is to reply in the manner received.

However, there are many Hams who do not reply ever to QSLs they receive. That is the chance one takes when sending one out when not asked for. So, if you send any of your own, then be prepared to get no answers back from some.

I sent a lot of QSL cards when I was a new Ham, but stopped after about 2 years. Now I will respond if I receive one; electonic if I get that or card if I get that.

If I get a card through the bureau, I reply that way. If by direct mail, ditto. But again, a large number of Hams do not reply at all to a QSL they did not ask for.

5. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

My preferred method is a QSL card, but there seems to be a trend away from this courtesy. I am still working on a big backlog of cards to be sent out. But, if I receive a card, SASE or not I will reply immediately. Again, I feel this is a courtesy and I will be more than happy to send my card out.

I also signed up at eQSL and with LOTW. I know many don't want anything to do with eQSL, but I like using it, even achieved a few of the simple eAwards. LOTW is also good and I make it a point to upload all my new contacts as soon as possible.

In the end nothing will replace the QSL card.

6. K5HDE

K5HDE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still very green and have a lot to learn.

However if I receive a card, you'll get a card. If I send a card I do hope I get one back. If I get a confirmed QSO through LoTW, then I'm good. If not I'll try to back it up with paper. I just consider it good manners to confirm a QSO when requested. Paper for paper, bytes for bytes.

Which brings up a question on a DX today. Had a LU7.. contact that requests QSO through a EA7.. manager, direct or through the bureau. I can figure out the direct part but how do I use the bureau with a third party manager?

7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Fill out the QSO information on the card as you normally would. In other words, in the box marked "RADIO", put the LU7 call.

In the "address" section of the card (or on the back, if it's blank), just write "LU7xxx VIA EA7xxx", and send it out with the rest of your bureau cards. When you put your cards in order to send to the outgoing bureau, put the card in with the other EA cards, NOT with the LU cards.

If you have a couple other EA cards going out, you save a few pennies and speed up the process a little bit by sending them directly to the EA bureau:

Union de Radioaficionados Espanoles, Box 220, E-28080 Madrid, Spain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.