ad: LZQSLprint-1

QSL for non-hams?

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by W1EMT, May 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1EMT

W1EMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all, I am new to the site, and the hobby. I'm not a ham, but I do enjoy listening in on my SDR or portable radio. I stumbled upon this site, and it seems to be a good way to ID people by their callsigns, Unfortunately, it looks like I can't log a contact with someone without being a ham. I thought it'd be neat to let them know I heard them, but is this not possible on this website? There is always the paper QSL method, but being able to do it electronically would be very convenient.

VE5KE likes this.
  2. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WI9LL

WI9LL Ham Member QRZ Page

I get eQSL's from SWL's fairly often.

You can actually get an SWL callsign too for this purpose.(And I think it's completely free but double check on the site)
    http://swarl.org/content/get-swl-call-sign

But if you do enjoy listening, maybe start studying for the ham license. Talking is even more fun :)

4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What you are describing is a hobby known as being a Short Wave Listener (SWL). It is still practiced today, but not as common as it used to be. Many hams, myself included, began our radio hobbies in SWL.

Most short wave broadcast stations would return a QSL card if a reception report was received. Here's an example of a very common SWL card from a short wave broadcast station in Quito Ecuador. The specifics about the confirmation is on the back of the card:
    [​IMG]

Hams who work a lot of DX still receive SWL reports and requests for cards to confirm the reports. Some SWL hobbyists had their own SWL cards printed that they filled out with a reception report to send to the station they were requesting the QSL card from:
    [​IMG]

To receive a QSL card from a ham, send a reception report that contains the date, time, frequency, mode, callsign of the station heard, signal report, and what they were doing when you heard them (calling CQ, working <Call Sign>, etc). It's also customary to send an SASE to return their QSL card to you, although many would probably send a card back without one.

It also doesn't hurt to be aware that many hams today do not exchange QSL's like most did in the past. It's a good idea to check their QRZ.com page and see what they say about QSL exchanges first.

Do do the same electronically, check out some of the suggestions offered by others. Good luck and have fun.

KP4SX likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

You are correct - QRZ is not an SWL site. It has never been an SWL site and likely never will.

But you're still TOTALLY welcome here - there's tons of forums to read and learn, and SWL topics come along all the time.

Should you ever decide to get your ham license, your ID here can be converted to be your call sign - that then opens up features only ham members have access to: the QRZ Logbook, having a "Bio Page", access to the XML database for auto-lookups, and other cool features.

Thanks for stopping by!

Dave
    W7UUU

KI4ZUQ and K8BZ like this.
  6. W1EMT

Thanks for the helpful info, all! Bummer that I can't access logbooks, but I do find this site very interesting for looking up all the people I hear on the air. I'm in Ohio, and was listening to a guy from Slovenia yesterday. Neat stuff.

KI4ZUQ, K3XR, K8BZ and 3 others like this.
  7. W1EMT

Update: I was able to register on the eQSL website as an SWL, so I think this is what I'm looking for :) I started taking some practice exams, and may end up trying for my tech license at some point soon, but for now, the eQSL seems like a nice option to let people know I've heard them.

K1LKP, KP4SX and W7UUU like this.
  8. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I get quite a lot of reports through eQSL from SWLs. I always respond, though it may take a little while - my log book in Log4OM uploads reports for the stations I talk to automatically, but I only see SWL reports when I log into the eQSL web site - which I only do a couple of times per month.

Martin G8FXC

W1EMT likes this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of us got into the hobby by way of being a SWL. I still enjoy tuning around the various SW bands. Sadly, many stations have gone off the air and/or been replaced by the internet. As an SWL when it comes to the ham bands, you will be afforded the opportunity of learning some customs, traditions, and terminology that separates the hobby from other radio services. Good Luck, have fun.

10. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2022-5-7_19-24-8.jpeg

W1EMT likes this.
  11. W1EMT

Hey all, another quick question: is the 'logbook' on this site meant for 2-way contact only, or is it OK to sign someone's logbook if I'm only listening and pick them up, but can't reply? BTW, I'm taking my exams this weekend, so will be "official" pretty soon.

12. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure. You can do a Web contact. See K1LKP's page and just to the right of Logbook is Web.
    Great! Let us know how the weekend goes. Take as many tests as they'll let you. Some folks have walked out as a General and a few rocket scientists came out as Extras. Good luck!

W1EMT likes this.
  13. W1EMT

Cool, thanks. I studied for the tech and general, and I feel pretty good about those. Not sure how much time the VEs have, but I could always take a stab at the extra just for the heck of it.

K8VHL and KI4ZUQ like this.
  14. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You ain't gotta a hair on yer butt if'n you don't take a stab! Har, har!

Fldigi and WSJT-X work on receivers, too. There are so many modes these days to have a rich listening experience!

W1EMT and N6HCM like this.
  15. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

VEs have the time you need to be tested. this is actually their job, and most seem to enjoy the opportunity to help someone raise their game.

W1EMT and K8VHL like this.