QSL cards outside of the USA

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3RAA, May 3, 2021 at 5:22 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I meant having a scheme like URE does as well as LoTW. You knew that :rolleyes:

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best bet? As you've been told, a few green stamps in the envelope will grease the skids. ;)

KC3RAA likes this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

You can send them to me and I'll dispose of them. I'll even send a couple of them back to you to cover postage. :)

VK4HAT likes this.
  4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you ever have occasion to send one to me, please send it postcard style. IMHO, the stamp, postmark, etc., adds to the card's provenance. I'll take my chances on the bar codes obscuring part of the QSO data. If that happens, then I guess I'll need to find another California station to get that rare card from. :)

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Works for me!
    5H3.jpg

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just emailed them to you LOL

WA9SVD, WZ7U and K5WY like this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.. My card is SO rare, I charge $100 (in bitcoin only) each.:p

8. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"...but when the recipient says to include a SASE, ..."

Don't send an SASE; send an SAE. Our stamps are no good for the return trip.

I have a book of Global stamps and they work to more countries than not - go to USPS.com for a list of the few countries those stamps won't get your letter to - there aren't many you can't get to with the Global stamp.

I do this alot. First: CHECK THEIR LOG TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN IT. Most use Clublog which is searchable. If you're not in their Clublog OR if you haven't received a confirmation via QRZ or LoTW you may not get a reply. Their log not online to check? Send the card.

I send my card, an SAE and $3-$4 dollars to cover their postage back to me; so far I have a 100% reply rate. Once I sent a card to a DX station not looking for one in return and he sent me his on his own dime (thank you Aled!).

Some stations allow you to pay the freight through Paypal via the OQRS system in clublog (e.g., C92RU and A25RU) and by doing so you send nothing, because many stations and Dxpeditions don't want your card but will send you theirs if you follow their particular procedures.

Always check the QRZ page of the DX you worked - most of them list QSL info, and some don't do cards at all anymore, just confirms in LoTW and QRZ.

One other thing: I used to use the BURO but many stations don't do that anymore including me. The QSL bureau takes forever and is a pain. The last DX that wanted a card from me sent it direct (he needed NC to finish WAS on 160); I replied direct and he got it just fine. For many ops in most countries QSL direct is the way to go, because our dollars are accepted everywhere.

Don't even get me started on IRC's; those things are obsolete and accepted pretty much nowhere nowadays; might as well send a fistful of Prussian Francs.

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 6:25 PM
    WA9SVD and KC3RAA like this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

IRC's (valid, non-expired ones) HAVE to be honored by International Postal Treaty. Of course, not all postal workers understand that immediately. What is (and IMHO, unfortunate) a sad fact is that no country is REQUIRED to issue IRC's. The U.S. Postal Service no longer issues IRC's, but they must be accepted for postage (foreign or domestic) if valid.

Added:

I keep valid IRC's if I receive them, and use U.S. postage to send an international QSL card to a DX station; the IRC (or IRC's) are sent for DX stations in preference to "green stamps," which some hams have a difficult in using or exchanging to their local currency. (Some countries even seem to make it illegal for individuals to even HAVE U.S. currency in their possession.)

10. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"(Some countries even seem to make it illegal for individuals to even HAVE U.S. currency in their possession.)"

Which ones?

Also, many stations (particularly in the third-world) are either hams that go there from modern countries or have QSL managers is modern countries where mail service is not a problem and greenbacks are readily accepted; that's why it's good to look at their QRZ page for QSL info.