QSL cards outside of the USA

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3RAA, May 3, 2021 at 5:22 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WT4W

WT4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What I've done with a 100% success rate is to use a #10 envelope with a pre-printed return address label and computer printed label for the DX station's address. As already mentioned I put no hint of ham call signs on either label .... this makes it look like business or marketing mail.

I enclose a #9 envelope with my pre-printed address label on it, put that, my QSL card, and a few dollar bills inside a folded blank piece of paper.

I also keep a supply of USPS forever international stamps on hand.

I don't mind one bit sending a few dollars to help cover the cost of postage etc. for a card from a new country, and will gladly mail a card to a DX station that needs my county, state, or whatever.

WA9SVD, K0UO and KC3RAA like this.
  2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A book with many chapters could be written just on QSLing with detailed information on how to use the many methods available now that didn't exist in years past. All of the electronic means to confirm contact that have been devised have in some ways simplified the process for those actively involved during their development. Bot for someone just getting started it can clearly be a confusing mess.

Rule #1: ALWAYS check the DX station's QRZ page for specific QSL instructions and if they have instructions, follow them to the letter.

Despite what some say here, the QSL Bureau system is still used. You don't have to be an ARRL member to use the incoming QSL Bureau to receive cards sent to you through the bureau. For information go to: http://www.arrl.org/incoming-qsl-service

You do need to be a member to use the ARRL Outgoing QSL bureau. See http://www.arrl.org/outgoing-qsl-service for more info.

Don't overlook using ARRL's Logbook of the World (LoTW) for contact confirmation cred it for awards without QSL cards. Check http://www.arrl.org/logbook-of-the-world fpr more info.

Club Log provides another method to receive foreign QSLs for many stations (mostly DXpeditions, but many other regular stations use it also) without having to send your QSL. You just pay for postage using PayPal. It is referred to as OQRS (Online QSL Request Service).
    Visit https://clublog.org/index.php for more info.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 8:24 PM
    US7IGN, K0UO and WG7X like this.
  3. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to send bureau cards but either are not an ARRL member or don't want to fill out and properly sort your outgoing cards, there do exist services where you can register a card design and upload logs, and they handle printing, sorting, and shipping cards to the bureaus. See, for example, https://qsl.ure.es/en/

(URE is Spain's equivalent to the ARRL.)

K0UO, KP4SX and K8BZ like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Join the League, use the Bureau for outgoing cards.

Join your local Bureau (for your call area) and follow their instructions for incoming cards.

Then wait several months to a few years, but the cards will come and it will have cost very little to get them.

WA9SVD, K8BZ, US7IGN and 1 other person like this.
  5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had JA's send me USD for cards, which is kind of pointless because of the difficulty in exchanging them for Aud. By the time you go to a dealer who buys foreign cash and get hit by the exchange and fees, those 3Usd just cost you a $12 Aud train ride into Brisbane to get $2 Aud to send a card that costs $3Aud in postage to send. LOL

Paypal is such a better option if you must buy my qsl cards.

K0UO likes this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

URE provides an excellent service. Pity the ARRL can't get into the 21st Century game.

7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the idea is to use them the same way IRC's were generally used back in the day. You don't exchange it for local currency. You just set it aside for the next time you need to send a green stamp to someone else.

In the heyday of IRC's, I received quite a few, but I don't think they ever originated in the country they were sent from. I suspect most of them circulated for years, at least until they started adding expiration dates.

VK4HAT likes this.
  8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah makes sense I guess if you are sending off for cards. Maybe i should do that with the pile of dollar bills i have here, I do have a few confirmations that only direct and only when you pay them US currency.

9. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

what? the ARRL runs LoTW and you're saying they're not in the "21st century" b/c they wont print and send cards via post?

o_O

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember, there is a VAST difference between LoTW entries and QSL CARDS (besides co$t.) LoTW, if used properly, can indeed CONFIRM a contact (with ARRL or other award credit where applicable,) but is an "electronic" confirmation, nothing more. A QSL CARD exchange is a physical confirmation of a contact. It does take a deliberate action on the part of both stations, over and above a few "key strokes."

If I want (or somehow need?) a foreign (DX) QSL (physical) card, I will send an appropriate amount of USD$ to cover their cost, which is postage and perhaps a few extra ¢ to cover other costs, but if I receive a QSL card via direct postal service, I will respond in kind, direct. The only general exception I make (whether foreign or domestic) is if I want a special card, such as from a special event or DXpedition, and a fee is required, I may pay the fee. Some special events request extra $ but provide a certificate either with, or in lieu of, a card.

I will ALWAYS enclose a QSL Card in an envelope, whether foreign OR domestic. A QSL card sent "bare' (as a post card) just to save a few ¢ is foolish (IMHO) as they are more likely to get lost, spindled and mutilated, or vital contact info may be obliterated by machine generated coding by the postal service. Again, IMHO at least, if it is worth sending a QSL card, it is worth the extra expense of using an envelope and first class postage.

Also, if using an incoming "buro," check their specific requirements, which often differ considerably from what has been "standard procedure" in the past. At least one ARRL sponsored buro I know of will NOT accept envelopes and stamps for postage, they will ONLY accept American currency (USD, credit card, check or possibly Pay-Pal) and THEY provide their own envelope and postage subtracted from that amount, and will usually let you know when funds they have are getting low, or are insufficient They may also have a requirement for a minimum amount of payment each time, often $5 or $10 (USD.)

All this becomes "second nature" if you find you are sending out a fair number of cards.