QSL card is dead?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K7MHI, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate EQSL but I do have an account for those who are too lazy to send a card. I ALWAYS send a SASE and I usually get a card back.

2. KF6A

KF6A Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny I ran across this thread because I just got done doing nine direct QSL requests for DXCC entities I need. I ran out of green stamps so I'll have to do more later.

As for sending out QSL cards I only do it if I need the state, it's a DXCC entity I need, or it was a special contact for the person on the other end, which is rare since I'm in cali and W6's are a dime a dozen. I always return QSL's if sent a QSL.

It gets expensive after a while so I don't send everyone a QSL card, but if I do I send an SASE, or SAE and IRC or green stamps, depending on the persons preference.

I got my DXCC by sending out cards but now with LoTW it is so much easier to chase paper. And while I still like getting QSL cards the convenience of LoTW is definitely worth it.

3. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my feelings also as far as QSL cards go and a big fan of LoTW. As far as eQSL goes they can be used for several CQ mag awards.

4. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

I hate paper cards but I do have QSLMaker on my PC for those who insist on having nothing less than paper instead of an eQSL. I appreciate the SASEs and do send out a paper card to those who do send one.:)

Personal preferences make life interesting.:D

5. N7SGM

N7SGM Ham Member QRZ Page

K7HMI,

I don't think the QSL card is dead. Maybe it has become mundane or old hat to some ops and they simply have played QSL card all they want to. Some ops told me they have literally thousands of them so the hype or newness has long worn off. Maybe too their QRZ listing was created at a time when they were sending out QSL cards. That may have been long, long ago.

Then too there is the advent of eQSL online which many ops now use worldwide. Where out of country postage is high, eQSL use has become the popular way to trade QSL cards. Some foreign ops want as much as 3-4 green stamps just to send you a card. For me, who really cares if I worked an op in, say Crete, on 20 meters yesterday. I think most old timers would say, "Good for you OM", and that's about it. I just don't take it too seriously and maybe that is the key. Some do, some don't, but send one anyway you may be pleasantly surprised.

Bob

6. KJ4QJQ

KJ4QJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

QSL CARDS

I am new to this hobby, but I have talked to some hams that send cards. Its a matter of preference. If you can and want to send qsl cards please do . I have chosen to send them when I make a contact but I dont expect the contact to send one back. I will still make a paper log regardless

Thanks for letting me speak my mind :)

7. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Thank you for speaking your mind and being an understanding open minded person also.

8. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

haha thread back from the dead, thanks for the feedback new posters :)

9. KG4ULT

KG4ULT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Man,

I feel you. When i had upgraded to General class a while back i made some awesome contacts to Lituania, Germany Astonia and others and NO QSL card returns. Needless to say i am very sad about this as i would love to have the proof of contact for family, friends and future operators. All i have is the memory; would love something tangable other than my contact log's for proof.

Wish things would change. When i get back on the air here in a few months, I plan on doing as one suggest by sending a SASE. I hope this works.

I dont understand why the operators dont just let everyone know they either dont QSL or require a SASE. This would cut out all the grief and anxiety waiting for a QSL.

Now for those who have QSL'ed THANK YOU. I hope you never stop. I sure QSL 100 % SASE or not; i mean after all it is part of out Hobby isnt it?

Frank

10. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you contacted the incoming 4 buro? You many have some stuff there waiting. I just got 14 cards that I did not know about, under my old call sign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.