ad: AbAuRe-1

QRZ's Data Not in Sync With the FCC?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5WDW, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke4pjw @ April 14 2002,19:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kg4kkn @ April 14 2002,15:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IIRC, it's actually trying to load a Sun Java engine, not a Microsoft plugin.

As noted earlier, Amateur Radio is a low priority for the FCC and programming is probably about as low, so Java was what they came up with for everyone using the ULS.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, it is not a Java [tm] plug-in. If it were, it would run cross platform, just like all Java [tm] plug-ins do.

The ULS is used by all radio services, including Amateur Radio.

For my tax money, I want something that works. As QRZ.COM demonstrates, the plug-in is not needed and therfore a waste of my tax money.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Found out some good info from kg4kkn. He can get it to run on Mozilla on Linux just fine. That propted me to try something. If I right click on any of the search buttons and open it in a new window, it works. If I simply click on the search button, it pops up a javascript Alert Box that says it only runs on Windows NT/95. I think that it has something to do with the "smartUpdate" function it is calling with the onCLick of those images. When I have some spare time I will track it down, the function is not located in the HTML source (as viewed from a GET using a TCP connection, not a browser) and must be loaded by the browser by some other means indirectly. The point is, I shouldn't have to go to all this trouble to find out what they did wrong. I have not tried it in Mozilla, but it is broken on Netscape 4.75 on *nix. It could simply be my browser, but I seriously doubt it.

-- Terry

2. K5KVJ

K5KVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one am very pleased with Fred and QRZ. Over the Easter weekend I was having trouble signing in to change my profile. Seemed the Loser.... er USER.... LOL (i.e. - idiot me) couldn't remember his password. So I emailed Fred, explained my problem, and was very surprised to get a response back from him.... on Easter Day! And he had it fixed pronto, too! Fred, my hat's off to you for the excellent job you're doing here. Keep up the good work!

73's
    Keith (K5KVJ)

3. WB0SLI

WB0SLI Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of you may have forgotten, or for the newer hams, the "Call Book". A unique device that came out once a year (I believe), cost as much as a 2 meter rig at a ham fest and was the main and only way to find an address or call. I hope that with the modern day computer we as hams will not forget our roots and go screaming that "it doesn't work like it's suppose to" when all it usually takes is time
    and a little patience, and if that doesn't work FIX IT YOURSELF. I'm sorry but I get a little frustrated
    when I hear that people in general want things NOW. Let's all take a step back and just relax.

73's WB0SLI

4. KE4PJW

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WB0SLI @ April 15 2002,20:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some of you may have forgotten, or for the newer hams, the "Call Book". A unique device that came out once a year (I believe), cost as much as a 2 meter rig at a ham fest and was the main and only way to find an address or call. I hope that with the modern day computer we as hams will not forget our roots and go screaming that "it doesn't work like it's suppose to" when all it usually takes is time
    and a little patience, and if that doesn't work FIX IT YOURSELF. I'm sorry but I get a little frustrated
    when I hear that people in general want things NOW. Let's all take a step back and just relax.

73's WB0SLI[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I will take a broken FCC website and/or a very nice database like QRZ over the old callbook any day of the week [​IMG] Nothing like being nostalgic for the bad ole' days [​IMG]

5. N8ARY

N8ARY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the same problem. I figure the reason stems from "outages," when the FCC website is unavailable, as it was the day my upgrade went through.

During the "outage," QRZ was unable to download the daily file for that day; therefore, the updates did not appear until the larger file got them back in synchronization with the FCC.

6. W7MEV

W7MEV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had a couple experiences where I have looked for a call sign on QRZ and have not found it, then when going to the FCC database, did not find it there either.  Makes me wonder if some folks issue their licenses themselves...

I have never taken any action in these instances since I know the FCC is often inefficient, but I always wonder if I should query them about the validity of such a call sign. [​IMG]

7. K4RTN

K4RTN Guest

???You should have been in my shoes when I returned to Ham Radio in the early 90's. I had to wait 17 weeks for my call. [​IMG] , by then I did not care how long it took to get on QRZ.
    Jack K4RTN

8. KE4PJW

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc8gow @ April 16 2002,17:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have had a couple experiences where I have looked for a call sign on QRZ and have not found it, then when going to the FCC database, did not find it there either. Makes me wonder if some folks issue their licenses themselves...

I have never taken any action in these instances since I know the FCC is often inefficient, but I always wonder if I should query them about the validity of such a call sign. [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Not all U.S. call signs are in the FCC database. Some DOD calls, such as KC4AAA, do not show up. At least that is what I have been told.

9. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

When I applied for and received my current call sign, the data appeared on the FCC and the QRZ sites at approximately the same time, and it was before I received anything in the mail. There is variation in the delay experienced by some as explained in the preceding posts.

10. KE6MGB

KE6MGB Ham Member QRZ Page

When I got my first license as a Tech, it took 1 1/2 months for the FCC to finally send me my license. About a year or so after that, people were getting their license's within 2 week's if not sooner. I received all my upgrades rather quickly as well, but about 8 years ago they were very slow.

Rod
    KE6MGB [​IMG]

11. N8VZ

N8VZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W2TXB @ April 20 2002,20[​IMG]8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When I applied for and received my current call sign, the data appeared on the FCC and the QRZ sites at approximately the same time, and it was before I received anything in the mail. There is variation in the delay experienced by some as explained in the preceding posts.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I've had a similar experience.  I passed my Extra exam on April 13.  The FCC database showed the upgrade today for the first time, and it appeared on qrz.com today, too!  Now, that's fast!  I have not yet received my license in the mail.  From the experiences of several of my friends who upgraded about a month ago, I should receive the license in a few more days.  

Keep up the good work qrz.com!

73  Carl KA8JXG

12. NE5B

NE5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ does not list either my old or new call.......

I went throught the FCC's Vanity process, and as of early Tuesday morning now have the Callsign WB5EN.

VanityHQ.COM, and Buckmaster both started showing my new callsign Wednesday, QRZ was still showing my old Call.

Now as of Thursday QRZ does not show either my  old - "KM5OT" or new - "WB5EN" Callsign.

My info According to the FCC As of 23-Apr-02 10[​IMG]0 gmt

Seems the FCC's daily files were correct otherwise VanityHQ and BuckMaster wouldn't have the new call sign showing on their lists.

Anyone have any thoughts?

13. WJ9L

WJ9L Ham Member QRZ Page

I upgraded to Extra and the new class showed up on the FCC database on the 25th, QRZ and the rest on the 26th.  The only one that lagged was the University of Arkansas, Little Rock database.  In my case it worked well.  Thanks, QRZ.  

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.