ad: Sussex-1

QRZDroid now available for Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great news!
    QRZ has just learned that the new android app, QRZDroid has been approved for download on the Amazon App Store and is good to go on the Kindle Fire.

Jaime Jeffries
    General Manager, QRZ

2. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic. I looked for it when the app first came out and didn't find it. My Kindle Fire keeps me occupied when I have to wait somewhere. This is one more thing to do.

3. KJ6OJL

KJ6OJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome!, I will be downloading this tonight when my Fire and I are reunited.
    KJ6OJL
    Don

4. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

So far, works flawlessly here.

5. KO8U

KO8U Ham Member QRZ Page

Downloaded QRZdroid to my Android Acer Iconia tablet. It works ok, but it seems to be designed as an Android phone app. On the tablet, the text is very large and looks like it is low resolution.

6. K2TQN

K2TQN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hooray! QRZ for Amazon Kindle Fire.

I downloaded it, after I figured out my "Parental Control Password". It works flawlessly. Thanks so much Fred and everyone else who is helping on this forum. QRZ is going in the car for trips and remote Mobile-ing.

73, John, K2TQN

7. K2TQN

K2TQN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Amazon Kindle Fire = potential problem

QRZ.com recently released an app through Google to allow access of their database through Android equipped devices. I was bummed out as Google would not download to my Kindle Fire.

Today I saw on the QRZ forum that it was available through Amazon's app store for the Kindle.

Great! not so fast... I couldn't download it from Amazon due to a forgotten "Parental Control" password.

All of sudden everything on my Kindle was password protected.

My son found this....

"Amazon issued a software update for its Kindle Fire tablet this week that adds password protection and other parental controls.

Software update 6.3.1 "brings additional parental controls to Kindle Fire, including the ability to password-protect purchases, disable access to specific content libraries, and block access to the Silk Web browser," according to Amazon.

The option was a key feature missing from the tablet when it debuted in November, and is a welcome addition to those who don't want their kids surfing to adult content or charging apps, movies, or other content to their accounts.

Silk is a "split browser" that partially lives on the Fire tablet and partially lives in the cloud, producing a faster browsing experience. Basically, most of the heavy lifting is handled by Amazon's EC2 and C3 services. As PCMag's ExtremeTech described it, "Amazon sucks down the target Web site, lays it out, renders it—and then ships it off as a much smaller, condensed package to the Kindle Fire tablet."

The update will be automatically delivered to the Kindle Fire,....."

Well Howdy Doody Buffalo Bob!

It turns out I tried to password protect the Kindle a couple of months ago, and since it wasn't working I had forgotten that I did that. The update this week put it into effect. After a while, trying several old passwords, I found one that worked.

I'll bet lots of Amazon kindles are now password protected and are wreaking havoc for the owners.

Now my [free] QRZ.com app is loaded and working flawlessly.

... I thought I'd share this with you, FWIW.

73, John Dilks, K2TQN

8. N2RON

N2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

And it works too!! THANKS QRZ!!

9. WD4OWB

WD4OWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Now if could only be made to work on the Samsung Captivate running 3.2..Google Play stated it was incompatible with my phone. Major bummer.

10. N2BFT

N2BFT Ham Member QRZ Page

It should be noted that this app for the Fire is only for looking up call signs, not access to the entire board.

Jim - N2CVE

11. W4WJ

W4WJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Now QRV from my Kindle FIRE...

Don
    W4WJ

12. W4WJ

W4WJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim...

I have full access on my FIRE... As you can see...

Don
    W4WJ

13. W4WJ

W4WJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim...

I have full access... This is from my FIRE...

Don
    W4WJ

14. N5TF

N5TF Ham Member QRZ Page

Works great and fast as lightening!

15. W1LVT

W1LVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John! I think that's the key. I did not have that problem at all. I wonder if you missed a step. 73.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.