ad: M2Ant-1

QRZ Warned by the FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 10, 2008.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4WCA

KI4WCA Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not see why QRZ is being bothered while other major distribution pipelines remain open.Amateurs will at least use the gear in a legal fashion one would hope.I do not like freeband or the cbidiots one bit.I suppose if you wanted 10 meters in the car, along with a rig you did not mind being ruined by the mobile environment or being stolen, the rigs might have a niche to fill.Maybe.I guess I am ok with them being banned from the zed, but I have to side with Fred on the issue here.They are legal to own,and lets face it would you rather hams or freebander types owned them?At least we will tell them the rig is fming badly as opposed to "Crank er up!!!!".Amateurs should be allowed to buy and sell them to each other.Even if they are crappy.
    The snitch is correct of course.But the snitch is also an officious, malodorous dolt.Like Fred is REALLY harming amateur radio.Yeah, right.
    Thanks for the great website Fred.Hope to work you on the air sometime!

2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Double Standards, Here We Go......

Alright, I bought an Uniden HR-2510 back when they were quite popular in the '80s. Nice 10M all mode radio. Had lots of fun on 10FM and USB while mobiling. It no longer works, thanks to a blown CPU. At this point, I am sorry that I didn't buy the Chipswitch CPU which added the 100kHz repeater offsets to the radio.

Now, after reading something about its ban, I looked up the "Riley's List" on the FCC site. Lo and behold, there it was.

OK. There are some radios such as several made by Galazy that openly are CB radios labelled as amateur. The RCI-2950 was not. It would not operate below 28MHz, unless the CPU was replaced and, some other serious mods made to it. Not just the clipping of a lead or removal of a diode.

Uniden also made almost exactly the same radio for Radio Shack. I forget its model number, but suffice it to say, it was the same board and the faceplate was different. It was NOT on Riley's List. Why not? Because some stupid attorney, who was deficient in technical gray matter had published an incomplete list of 10M multimode radios suposedly modifiable by clipping a single lead.

So now, the few remaining Radio Shack 10M multimode radios (come to think of it, the RS radio didn't offer the FM mode as I recall, only AM, CW and SSB) can legally be bought and sold, but the Uniden models can't.

This, folks, is your bureaucrat-stuffed government at work. Never mind that as amateurs, we do not have to have our radios type accepted.

The "gotcha" rule on import radios is that they must pass Part 15 requirements and be certified as such. Manufactured amateur equipment is not exempt from that requirement. That is the supposed "ban" usually misconstrued.

Its high time that US citizens insist on fair and equitable government regulation, not the trash heap we now seem to have that primarily sits on its A** when real and important violations of the Communications Act and promulgated regulations occur.

I am and have been critical, openly, of Mr. Hollingsworth, for just some of those reasons. There have been and still are some serious violations occurring that were ignored or placated. Seeing a continuum of "repeater troll" warnings and threats of sanction just about lights up every bell and whistle noted above instead of real enforcement of serious violations and prosecution of violators.

Perhaps, some day, we can have again a government for the people and by the people.

Go get 'em Fred. If I can help you in your pursuit of this argument, let me know.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  3. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

And do not forget that RCI makes a 6 meter rig. I have heard a lot of good results from those. Even though I have never owned one.

But I like to add the HR 2510 and HR 2600 to that list. I have owned those and find them not to be JUNK. They were great rigs that performed well. Fact most of the OF's I talked to on 10 could not tell what I was runing.

As far as the other crap, send them back to Singamalysina.
    Most of the freebanders are running the sames rigs we are running now.

4. N3ATS

N3ATS Ham Member QRZ Page

I asked the same question of the FCC. No response.

5. N0DIT

N0DIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like the FCC has left a small window open in this matter. It would seem to me that if I banned the sale of an item I would also make it clear that the possession of it is illegal as well. Not implied as it would seem.

As the host of QRZ I would make it known that transactions of banned equipment is prohibited. Let the sellers peddle their crap on chickenbanders-r-us.com

I somehow got on Copper Electronics mailing list and received a new catalog just a few days ago. Listed were these supposedly illegal radios along with amps that were just renamed as "CW Units". How do they get away with selling banned equipment?
    Jeff

6. N5WLW

N5WLW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,
    One question only.
    We are talking here about the federal government. You expect them to make sense?

Larry
    N5WLW

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have a Uniden HR-2510 being used as a 10 Meter Propogation beacon on a legal Ten meter frequency for which I have a license for. But it COULD be used by Illegal CBers or FREEBANDERS or other ruffians for misuse and abuse. Consequently, my radio is ILLEGAL!! COME AND GET IT, COPPERS!!! Bring in the SWAT TEAMS and RPG's to Burn my house to the ground to get this "Terrible" radio off the planet!!! I recall the movie "THE PROFESSIONAL" and how the Slimy DEA agent acted in trying to Get Leon and Matilda. Thats they way it will end at my QTH as the massive Force of Feds try to TAKE DOWN my HR-2510!!!!
    But, it will continue to chirp away, serving loyally its duty, until the Flames and gunpowder finally quench it!!! I love my 2510 (My Matilda!) , and we will meet the end together, just as LEON did!

(Yes, I know I watch too many Action movies!)

8. NP2OL

NP2OL Ham Member QRZ Page

This is all a waste of time, the damage has already been done many years ago. There are so many 11/10 meter radios out there it isn't a joke. I enjoy 10 meters, and yes I get really upset when I hear non-hams using the freqs, but what else can you do? go and rip the radios off their dash/bench? have a heart attack over an argument for the airwaves? Even worse, GMRS is full of unlicensed users with off the shelf radios with FRS/GMRS hybrids and those stupid (can't find a nicer word) beep/call tones polluting the airwaves for the licensed users who has paid their fees and are trying to make things right. It is all a waste of time (don't get me started with the border too!hihi) Sell, giveaway, whatever! it is all the same at the end of the day! the finals blow, the rigs go up in smoke, end up on a landfill or better yet, get stolen! Whatever Blah...

You only live once, why waste it on nonsense! :D

Oh...I forgot to mention...almost ALL legal Amateur radio equipment can be modified to "MARS" (wink wink)operation, which in many cases opening 11 meters too...so there you go...a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!!

9. WW5RM

WW5RM Guest

I couldn't see how they could ban a radio that was once Approved by them! I would like to see them come and take mine!!! Would be a few Body bags involved! They can have my radios when they pry them from my dead cold hands!!!!

10. W2PSK

W2PSK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got a solution to this problem. Give away the radio, but charge for shipping (ie: "FREE 2970 radio! ($250 shipping)"). :)

11. NJ3D

NJ3D Ham Member QRZ Page

11 meters should be ours anyway!

Ok, I fully expect to be slammed, scathed, and receive all kinds of mean, nasty responses, but here goes.

Many of us are prior users of the evil CB. At one time about $15 dollars was the cost of a CB license... and the FCC actually use to visit those of us that misbehaved. Alas due to the sheer number of users and lack of funds and probably interest, they gave up and 'set da CBers free'. Let’s be honest with or without a license 11 meters has been a useless mess since the early 70's.

Having driveled on about that I ask this humble question:
    Since we are the superior breed of the species, and we ARE licensed... Why can't we own a radio that will do 10, 11 and 12 meters? What is the difference if we buy a separate CB radio and operate it? Since CB has no requirement for a callsign, does that mean callsigns should be banned? If we had the right to use 11 meters, and do it with HAM protocol, we could eventually push out all of those 'inferiors' that cannot pass a (moronic) 35 question test.

Alright, I’ve got most of the venom out, but I think I have one last ‘bite’ in me. I have a licensed HAM operator, I am a licensed GMRS operator. WHY CAN’T I HAVE A RADIO THAT DOES BOTH???? It is stupid. I (unlike many friends) only want one radio hanging from my belt, and it means less congestion in my car.

Ok, I’m spent, I’m going to lay here and take my beating.

Loren Shirk
    K7LRS

12. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think whoever started this whole thing is in dire need of a life. Must have something against QRZ.

13. NV2A

NV2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets not forget the Icom 746. Real simple to get it on chicken band. If you got a pair of dikes the old Kenwood 721a dualbander can talk to most police and fire agencys in the country. HOW OFTEN IS THAT A PROBLEM FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT? Not very damn often and then most interference is made from stolen police handhelds. As a former TV news photographer I've spend 35 years listening to police and fire broadcast and never heard interference even though there must be thousands of radios that "could" cause a problem. We could loose half the radios in hamdom if this FCC abusive thought is allowed to persist.

Once again the government uses it's citizens to do the police work for them. Kind of like LandLords can loose their property if the tenant they rented to happens be be a drug lord and turns your unit into crack house. Evident ally you are supposed to garner all the courage you can, walk up to the drug dealers door and stare down the barrel of a Ak-47 or 9mm and order him off the property. You have to start a private war with a drug lord. Then you just have to hope the guy don't burn your house down with your family in it. This law exist in Buffalo, NY. Government making the citizens do the job of a paid police department. We got some real jerks in office.

14. N9MOQ

N9MOQ Guest

. .

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2009
  15. NF0A

NF0A Ham Member QRZ Page

One or more mischievous QRZ members that are very proud of themselves for raising the

:mad:It never fails trhat those same"one or more mischievous QRZ members that are very proud of themselves for raising the issue in the first place".
    Are very much the Hypocrite and usually ding the same thing but trying to hide their "Mischief" (Guilty conscience)...Stupid waste of everybody` time...