ad: hrd-2

QRZ Warned by the FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. WA4ZVG

WA4ZVG Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is it in Part 97 ??

Can someone tell me where it is at in part 97 that one cannot sell a radio that can be modified or has been modified or you must ask for a ham license to sell anyone a ham radio or that you could lose your license for selling these. If it is in part 97 I wish someone would show me.

2. K5PO

K5PO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel as hams we should be allowed to buy and sell any radio or related devices we choose. We still must operate them within the law.

To ban the sale of a radio because it could be involved in illegal operator action is an undesirable form of government protectionism. I'll do without.

3. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member

If you look at the citations, they have nothing to do with Part 97. The FCC is basically saying "You claim that they're 'Part 97' radios, but we say they fall under 'Part 90'". The fact that you could legally use them on Part 97 frequency allocations is meaningless according to the regs quoted in the citations.

4. WB2FTX

WB2FTX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred,

I think you are quite wrong when you said that few of these 10/11 meter rigs are being sold... Just do an internet search on "10 meter radio" and you will find numerous internet based dealers with a ready and continous newly supplied contingent of these things ready to sell... Hey they will even "tune" (modify) them for you as part of the sale. And this doesn't even count the Mom and Pop CB shops all over the country. Look at the FCC enforcement actions, they cite these guys (businessmen) multiple times, yet they keep on selling them and new ones are imported daily... In fact if you browse the ham listings on Ebay you will find more "10 meter amateur radios" for sale than the illegal CB amplifers... The market seems to be going toward these radios some of which have output power level of several hundred watts, instead of adding an extra amplifier for their "freeband" operations....Just my two cents...

73 Dave WB2FTX

5. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure this has been said before, but it bears repeating. Just because a 10 meter radio looks like a CB doesn't mean it isn't a 10 meter radio. If you built an old tube transmitter for 10 meters from scratch - is it necessarily illegal? No. Or maybe we should also collect all of those old Heathkit radios- too?

Any unlicensed person can buy and modify an HF rig and operate it on 11 meters in a mobile and probably never get caught. Any licensed operator has the right to access frequencies as their license allows them to. I've known a few Ham's that own some of these 10/11 meter export radios and operate them legitimately - because if they do - no one here or at the FCC can tell the difference. In the process, they save some money when they buy and use them. eg: Magnum 257 If a General license holder gets a RCI-2970N2 radio and modifies it to 30-18Mhz; who can hear or tell the difference if they operate it within the band plan at legitimate power levels? Nobody!

The guy who previously said: 'forty-three pages for nothing' has summed it up correctly.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. N9WWR

N9WWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I do....And I use it...:cool:

7. N9WWR

N9WWR Ham Member QRZ Page

RJ sounds like you have a serious complex with the 11 meter band. By the way RJ, some of us who you call "11m/freebanders/bootleg elements" are hams and are licensed to operate on some of the "freeband/bootleg" freqs. Yes it true....If you hold a MARS license WE can operate in what you call freeband. Ask a MARS operator to show you freqs we can operate on.
    If I were you I'd lighten up...If not sell all your ham stuff and buy a GMRS radio. Have a great day and a better tomorrow.......NNN0AFP.......

8. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

WHAT???? Bwahahahahahahahaha!

WHAT? You've GOT to be kidding me. With all the bad fruit and vegetables coming into this country with botulism and other diseases from South America, Mexico and elsewhere, the FDA has failed, miserably to protect the American public.

Be afraid, be VERY afraid, the F.C.C. is alerting Federal Marshal's to come to your homes, break your doors down, assault your family, tear your homes apart and take your radio's! The Singularity is coming! Resistance is futile, we will all wind up in The Black Hole! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Respectfully submitted,

Don/KA5LQJ

9. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, just like Christopher Cox, head of the SEC, failed to make sure that securities regulations were strictly enforced in the financial sector.

It truly IS an import restriction issue of sorts, I guess. If the radios pass the Part 15 certification requirements, then they should be allowed to be imported.

Now, it should be how they are operated if they meet Part 15, not whether they can be sold. As many have said, amateur equipment can be easily modified to operate anywhere. All of my radios can, since, at one time, I was a member of MARS.

I know of at least a half dozen examples of amateur gear being used to save lives outside of the ham bands in real life "when all else fails" situations. While I recognize that stuff can be used illegally by some dimwits, it will do far greater harm to preclude the ability to modify equipment for out of band operation.

The root of the problem lies in the violations by "freeband CBers" being only misdemeanors. A mere slap on the wrist. And, the means used by the FCC, that of a citation or a Notice of Apparent Liability/Forfeiture Order isn't tough enough. The regulations and or the Communications Act should be revised to allow the FCC/FBI to arrest these nut cases and haul them off to jail, charging them with felonies. Even better, allow, as in the case of drug users, the confiscation of their vehicles. The cost to someone of complete, loaded semi 18 wheelers ought to be serious enough to get their attention.

Just as responsible gun ownership places the responsibility on the owner, responsible radio operation should place the burden on the owner/operator.

For the record, I also bought and used for a few years an RCI-2950. It was a great multimode 10M mobile for about a hundred bucks. Had lots of fun with it on 10FM and occasionally, working DX on USB on long business trips in the company car. If it hadn't blown its microprocessor, thanks to a shorted capacitor, I'd still have it in the shack today. I should have purchased the "chipswitch" replacement while I could to use it on 12 meters as well.

10. W7HW

W7HW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree on that point, just did a scan on "sleaze bay", there are more amplifers for 11 meters than all of the other bands combined. So: does "sleaze bay" monitor selling posts??? I don't think so....was around when the FCC banned amps available for 11 meters, did it make a difference??
    Right!!! Took away the the HAM rights to purchase, without a hassle, at that time, buyable amps on 10 meters. Now you buy a new amp, must show legal documentation to open it up for 10/12 meters (which I can do). SO: who lost in the long run??
    Hams or CB'rs....go figure....73 Duane W7HW:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.