QRZ vs Face Book. Is that guy really that nutty?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by WG7X, Apr 21, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So... Here's the scenario: a fellow who has a good online presence here also posts on FB.

Here on QRZ he seems fairly normal if a bit biased on some topics, mostly related to politics. Then, when you go to FB, usually at his (or her) request and begin following him, you find out that this fellow is actually a real nutcase!

I fell into this trap recently with a fellow who had a fairly big presence here. Added him as a friend on FB. At first he seemed OK on FB and was still OK here. But as time went on, he got stranger and stranger over on FB. To the point where I blocked him, de-friended him, etc.

Did not want to read another post from this fellow ever again.

So what the heck is up with Face Book? Is it the larger audience? For my part, I have a very short, selective group of "friends" there, mostly people I know personally. I also follow some vacation related groups to find leisure activities, and that's about it. Just for the record, I seldom if ever post anything on FB.

I kind of hated removing this fellow, but I had to because he was posting too much weirdness on FB.

So, what say folks is it just me or does Face Book really bring out the weird inner person in some folks?

VK4HAT and K8EEI like this.
  2. DO1JML

DO1JML Ham Member QRZ Page

I would find it strange if someone on a forum would request to be followed on FB. Maybe this is the part that should have raised up your attention?
    This being said, there are 2.8 billions users on FB, so there are probably some nutcases in the crowd.

3. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad i never went for social media ....;)

N1VAU, W4HWD, KD0CAC and 7 others like this.
  4. DO1JML

DO1JML Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't a forum like this one some kind of social media?

W2NC, AC0GT, W2TXB and 1 other person like this.
  5. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a form of it, but it does not control my life as with facebook and that kind of media.
    I now can spend my time more fruitfull and relaxed.

WZ7U and F8WBD like this.
  6. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Politics discussions are banned on QRZ. So you may not see someone's political beliefs.

The person you see as "weird" may think the same thing of your politics.

N2EY, N8TGQ, W9WQA and 2 others like this.
  7. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the reason why I got rid of fb a long time ago. Everything I want to say to the world, I say on my blog without ads. A very good movie about social media and manipulation https://www.netflix.com/title/81254224

KK4NSF, K0UO and K8PG like this.
  8. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Define " fairly normal " . My block list on FB and QRZ is very long .

W5PFG likes this.
  9. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I'm aware I'm on a computer keyboard...Hold the sarcasm until you give me the courtesy of finishing, thanks.

I hate computers and this whole thing, yes right here, that we're involved in right now.

The whole Internet-enabled chat/scream/snipe thing is extraordinarily destructive to a healthy and civil society.
    Our culture has evolved to a point where we are without real connection to others, just because of the way modern society has evolved,
    and we are all sucked-into this spurious "Community" that passes for "Community" but really isn't.

90% of real, one-to-one communication is non-verbal and that means non-verbal cues; cues that don't often come across properly
    on the computer keyboard.

I can't tell you how many times I have been infuriated, offended and just plain baffled at the cluelessness of posts here, and with absolute
    certainty I have inflicted the same on others with different views. It's sad, tragic really, and we keep getting sucked into this fetid swamp.

There's something about this medium that brings out the absolute worst in people.

I posted a verbatim paragraph written a hundred years ago entitled "Brutal Morsemen" written about crusty telegraphers at the other end of
    the wire; which in essence says, The same horrible ogre you can't stand communicating with is oftentimes a completely reasonable and decent
    fellow if you sat down with him and had a a beer. There are individuals around here who continually offend me, but I see deep-down someone whose
    values and integrity in service to those beliefs is something I highly respect.

So, maybe the weirdo to whom you are referring has no real friends, nothing to give him or her a sense of fulfillment and purpose in life,
    and this is the best he or she can do to survive emotionally. Pretty sad and pathetic. Maybe we should feel sorry for his plight.

Or maybe none of that is true. He's just a flaming jerk, and stupid , to boot.

Wish I knew how to fix this. We're too far gone already..

Time for a walk.

N1VAU, WB2PKR, W5BIB and 7 others like this.
  10. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

the world would be a lot better off without facebook

I avoid it completely

KO4PYN, KN6SD, KK4NSF and 11 others like this.