QRZ Trivia Quiz 7-21-2021

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9WLX, Jul 21, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W9WLX

W9WLX Database Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are scanning the HF bands and find what is clearly a digital-mode sounding signal at 14.070 MHz, which mode have you likely stumbled upon?

14.070 has been PSK-31 for at least the last 15 years. The trivia quiz has the correct answer as RTTY. Unless I'm missing something, this is likely an error.

K1OIK likes this.
  2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Wherever a digital mode was once a known to be found JT mode software developers just decided to park their mode there each and every time. Now you just dodge JT modes and get in where you can because if any mode is said to be found on a frequency they will park one on that one too.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, a couple of 3 KHz slices on the higher portion of the band. It's a gull-derned CRISIS I tells ya!

4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Only a crisis if it affects CW. You should know that by now.

KA0USE and W4NNF like this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess the thing is...it doesn't much affect anybody. Dial across the 40 meter CW band , for example. What will you find in the reaches above 7050? Most of the time, unless there is a big contest going on, whole lotta nuttin'. But for some, two 3 KHz segments being used by digital, even in unoccupied territory is...why...IT IS AN OUTRAGE! :rolleyes:

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Somebody should write them a strongly worded letter.

W4NNF likes this.
  7. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

These days RTTY on 20 is mostly ~14.084 and higher (to avoid JT mode watering holes).

I haven't done PSK in years, tried to do a little PSK63 during one of the digi tests recently but had no takers.

OT Thoughts: I recall my first entry into digi modes, Dad got me a RigBlaster for Christmas in 2004, I used to ragchew on PSK31/PSK63 with KC0KBH. He made syrup and had other hobbies too, was a pretty interesting kid (we were both teenagers back then). His license expires soon, maybe I should see if his email address is still valid.

8. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In all CAPS...
    ...AND BOLD FONT!

Regards,
    -Bruce

KA0USE, KP4SX and W4NNF like this.
  9. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

and ITALICS, AND UNDERLINE!! with extra exclamation points.

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

"Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure".

K5WY likes this.