ad: CQMM-1

QRZ temporarily waives subscription renewal fees for those in need

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

In light of these extraordinary times, QRZ is suspending subscription renewal fees for 90 days by extending the existing subscriptions of those who have been laid off due to closures brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic. Effective immediately, if your subscription has lapsed since March 1, 2020, QRZ will extend your subscription by 90 days if you have been laid off, furloughed, or unable to work due to the pandemic.

These extensions will be approved on an individual basis and may be applied for by sending an email to support@qrz.com. No requests made in the QRZ forum or as replies to this posting will be acted upon. You must send an email to support@qrz.com.

In times like these, the ham radio community has a lot to offer society and QRZ wants to do everything we can to assist those who are in need.

------------------------

On a personal note, my wife Robin and I are in Self Quarantine after having just gotten off of a cruise ship on Sunday and then flying home through numerous airports including JFK. Yes, it was bad timing on our part but the trip was planned six months ago and when we left there were only a few cases in the US and none around the area in which we cruised (South America). We left the US on February 26 and returned to a different world. Imagine our shock when early on the morning of March 11th we were greeted by an all-hands PA announcement that the cruise line we were on was suspending worldwide operations. We were still several days out from our destination (Buenos Aires) and we had to skip some stops and spend 4 days at sea slow-walking to our next destination. All tours were cancelled when we finally arrived and we simply sat and waited nervously until we caught our flights. Our flight left Buenos Aires just 2 hours before the entire airport was closed. It felt like the Twilight Zone for a while, and we were never completely sure that we were going to be allowed to pass through. 28 hours later, I was at my front door in Phoenix, AZ. We were lucky I suppose.

Now we don't know if we've been exposed or not. We both contracted chest colds on the trip, but no fevers or body aches. We don't know if we were exposed in either of the two airports we travelled through where we were in the company of thousands of other travellers. So in that light, a self-quarantine at home seems prudent.

We're so thankful for the support that the QRZ community has given us over the years and we thought that it was appropriate for us to try and help out as many others as we can by extending member subscriptions as needed during this catastrophe.

God bless and best wishes,

-fred AA7BQ

Edit from Jaime Jeffries, KF7WIS, QRZ CEO: Check out Fred's full story in his appearance on Ham Nation with Bob Heil here:
    https://twit.tv/shows/ham-nation/episodes/445?autostart=false

IMG_6686.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2020
    AG7JQ, W7XLR, K2AMF and 59 others like this.
  2. N5WX

N5WX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad you're home safe. Being 80 years old, I am sheltering at home until it's safe to go out. Thank God for ham radio. 73 Ron

VA7RAK, K5OHM, W7XLR and 11 others like this.
  3. NM8U

NM8U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Be Well. Thanks for your kindness to those in need. Best
    73’s. Steve NM8U

N9AW, N4GST and KK6IPR like this.
  4. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I wish you the best Fred and hope you and your wife don't get hit with this.

VA7RAK, N4GST, KK6IPR and 1 other person like this.
  5. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

WELCOME HOME.jpg

==============AND

== write THANK TOU.gif

=============FOR

suspending subscription renewal fees for 90 days.

73 - K1LKP

VA7RAK, N4GST, KK6IPR and 1 other person like this.
  6. NZ4X

NZ4X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Swapmeet Lead QRZ Page

We are all in this together. Hang in there. God Bless.

OH6GQ/SK2022, N9AW, N4GST and 3 others like this.
  7. AB5WX

AB5WX QRZ Lifetime Member #313 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Awesome job. It is good to see we're on top of this. I'm sure many will appreciate this courtesy.

N4GST likes this.
  8. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Best wishes in your Health!

Thanks for all you do for the Amateur Radio Community! :)

N9AW, N4GST and K3SX like this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Outstanding! Thank you. Best wishes for an uneventful quarantine.

N4GST and N4FZ like this.
  10. VE3PYJ

VE3PYJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So glad you and your wife are home safely Fred and best wishes from your northern friends for a safe self quarantine.

N4GST likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,

We ALL wish you and your family the best, and hope the worst you have to deal with is a prolonged period of boredom!:)

Chip W1YW

WQ4G likes this.
  12. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank You, Fred... stay safe.

13. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yikes! Be well, Fred and take care. :oops:

14. W8DVE

W8DVE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred and Robin,

Glad to hear you’ve returned home. Rest up from the chest cold and thank you for making the provision during the unexpected pandemic.

This too will pass... but, this one may take awhile.

73’s,

Dave W8DVE

15. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So......did your cruise have any bungee jumping into ice-water? :):):)

Welcome back !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.