QRZ Service Update - Biography Pages

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. At least other operators who are interest in "What's Up With ME?" can still look me up and learn, and for that, I thank QRZ for this.

2. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

is 'revolver maps' java script? mine is now gone from my bio page

KB3RHR, M0VTD and N6QIC like this.
  3. ON3WM

ON3WM Ham Member QRZ Page

I want my old page, designed by Vlad, back....

KB3RHR, M0VTD, N5CHL and 2 others like this.
  4. K2SDS

K2SDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I work in the IT field and we would NEVER make such changes without notification FIRST. Thanks for trashing my page.

NB8F, KB1MM, NC8X and 7 others like this.
  5. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

TY...and the only reason I had even mentioned my own particular issue, regarding "background: is that I know of a lot of folks who have "sight issues", so setting my page up the way I did, was to see if it was some sort of a "remedy". Thanks for reaching out, and for the reasons behind the changes. Regards, Carl de NĂ˜CEL

6. WC6Q

WC6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple request. Can you fix this?

#mypic {
    height: 145px;
    width: 500px;
    border: solid 1px #ccc;
    cursor: pointer;
    }

There is a grey border around the primary pic and well there's no need and it looks funny. Pleeeease!!

[​IMG]

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Lost HRDlog. Plus the screen size is about double what it was and now everything (all pages that I checked) is ridiculously oversized and requires horizontal scrolling.
    I'm setup for 1280 pixel width.

W5BIB and N6QIC like this.
  8. AA7BQ

AA7BQ Administrator Staff Member Administrator QRZ Page

We know it's disappointing, but it's not QRZ's fault that hackers will cheerfully exploit security holes like the types exposed by Javascript/CSS and other advanced web programming features.

Given our choices, we would rather be known as the company who took away a few page decorations than as the company whose lax security policies exposed the personal information of hundreds of thousands of its users.

Consider for example, a case where a member used the advanced editing options to manipulate his top page listing to indicate that he was a QRZ Staff Member and Administrator. Then, using this fake authority, convinced other users to disclose information about themselves. This isn't hypothetical, it actually happened. Fortunately, nobody got hurt. It could have been very bad.

Incidentally, we've been working on this for a couple of months and so if you were thinking that it was a knee jerk reaction, think again. This policy and its code was extensively investigated, prototyped, and tested.

The ways in which Javascript can be abused are mind-boggling. You can easily get a nasty virus that you aren't even aware of and the typical QRZ user lacks the sophistication to recognize and/or mitigate the threat. That's why we had to step in and change our policy.

We'll get through this, and QRZ and its users will be safer for it.

73 -fred

K6TEP, N2IPH, W0PV and 10 others like this.
  9. K2SDS

K2SDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But why just drop these changes on our heads???? Was there an announcement of these DRASTIC changes??? I didnt see any notices.

LA9OCA, HB9VQQ, KB3RHR and 5 others like this.
  10. ON3WM

ON3WM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are so wright ! Vlad's design was perfekt and yes, I've paid also for it...

KB3RHR, M0VTD, N5CHL and 1 other person like this.