QRZ Service Update - Biography Pages

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ Administrator Staff Member Administrator QRZ Page

Changes to Call Sign Pages

QRZ is announcing today that the availability of certain features pertaining to the display of user biography pages will be undergoing changes that promote greater security and better uniformity between listings. These changes will affect the way in which customized user biography pages are shown. Most users will not be affected by these changes, which affect only those who have elected to use features provided by the Expert Options and CSS Styles menu and in particular, those who have styled the upper part of the call sign page.

What is Changing?

Call sign pages on QRZ are shown using a Tabbed interface that overlays a few different sub-pages of data for each call sign. These tabs include Biography, Detail, Logbook, and possibly Web Contacts. The changes announced today affect only the data shown in the Biography tab, and only if you have made use of certain Expert options.

Call sign pages are typically spread across two distinct parts of the page. There is an upper area, called the Callsign Data Block followed by a tabbed section which holds the Biography, Detail, Logbook and other features. With this new security update, the information shown above or outside the tabbed section will be restricted to QRZ Use Only. This means that users will no longer be able to style, apply colors, background images, or other enhancements to the part of the page that lies outside of the tabbed area. Inside the Biography tab, users will be able to stylize their pages as before, including the use of Expert options and CSS.

These new page layout rules affect ALL users, regardless of their subscription status, including LIFE Members as well as QRZ Staff.

What You Can Expect

You probably won't be affected by these changes. Most users have traditionally avoided the Expert options because, well, they are for experts. Still, there are sufficient numbers of expert users to make this announcement necessary.

If you are an expert user and you have styled the Callsign Data Block, then you will notice that your styling has reverted back to the default, non-styled look. The rest of your biography should still look the same, just as it was before the changes.

If you are a Custom Page Design customer you may also notice that the upper part of the page has lost its custom styling. Our page designer is standing by to help if some items may need to be moved down the page.

Technical Notes for Expert Users

For those Expert users reading this who are conversant in HTML programming, please note that the entire Biography tab will be enclosed within an IFRAME element which will constrain all user CSS styling options to affect only items contained within it.

If you have incorporated your own IFRAMES within your QRZ bio, we cannot guarantee the results. These IFRAME within IFRAMES will probably work, but we won't guarantee them. You are responsible for making sub-IFRAMES work, if that's what you need.

You may also note that all forms of JavaScript are prohibited, including embedded action keywords within HTML. Just don't try it because you will end up frustrated. JavaScript cannot be supported for user pages.

73, -fred AA7BQ

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
    KC9YGN, YB6DE, K2HAT and 10 others like this.
  2. LU5DTF

LU5DTF Ham Member QRZ Page

I had iframe on my page and now they do not work, there is a way to fix it ??, thanks

IK4JOD, OE5CCN and UA3ALE like this.
  3. AF7EC

AF7EC Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  4. 2E0MNG

2E0MNG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So i permanently loose my 2 flags? But why?

IK4JOD, OE5CCN, UT7IP and 1 other person like this.
  5. MI6LFU

MI6LFU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lost my hrdlog off my page

IK4JOD, PP2RR, 2M0JVR and 1 other person like this.
  6. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO Staff Member Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Any iFrame that uses javascript has been disallowed at this time. This change is motivated by a desire to keep with modern security standards. Sorry for any inconvenience it may cause.

Jaime

YB0FYA, IK4JOD, K2HAT and 2 others like this.
  7. W7FTM

W7FTM Subscriber QRZ Page

Changes to Call Sign Pages

I was definitely affected by the changes. Please restore Vlad's excellent design back to my page.

Thanks,

Alex W7FTM

IK4JOD, OE5CCN, IT9PQJ and 3 others like this.
  8. VE9DAN

VE9DAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Biography font went to a much smaller size.

IK4JOD likes this.
  9. M1EDF

M1EDF Ham Member QRZ Page

how do I get rid of the three blank pages m1edf..

F6EAZ likes this.
  10. KA0EGE

KA0EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Not good... that was one of my favorite parts of my page. Showing the HRD log.net info. Not good.

2M0JVR, M0XXJ, PP5XA and 10 others like this.