ad: Stlouis-1

QRZ needs your help - LETS CATCH THIS GUY!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by AA7BQ, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK6ESP

KK6ESP Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of Nigerian / Egypt / North Africa scammers are working together - usually out of parts of Eastern Europe, UK and France and most commonly use yahoo.com email addresses as these seem to be the best / easiest to spoof accounts available online.

I'd suggest taking a look at sites like 419eater.com for a quick overview of how their scams operate. The FBI has a very responsive site for scam reporting and generally they will call you within five minutes of emailing. (I have had to report many scams due to my line of work) - the IC3 and FBI sites here: http://www.fbi.gov/scams-safety/e-scams and http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

The best advice is to check things like common spelling mistakes, ask the scammer for non metric measurements for things, ask for photos of items or photos of the scammer with the item. Often these things can be turned in as evidence later on.

Unfortunately due to the very public nature of callsigns and ham radio, a lot of personal information is available to these folks for free.

They will most commonly use ISPs and stolen cloud virtual private servers. Stolen email addresses. Common names that hide them by the abundance of other persons with these names.

In defense of anyone on this site - I would suggest a few things.

Paypal stops payment but even this is exploited to a sellers or buyers advantage. Many times they will wait for an item to be in transit and then file a complaint. The item or payment can arrive but you're tied up waiting for X or Y. Check out paypalsucks.com - there are phone numbers listed on that site and many times I have had to call paypal due to scammers on eBay and other online transaction sites. (So much so that I have given up using eBay as a seller anymore)

Try to use email via local services or sites that use the captcha / re-captcha on login (the type of login that asks you to authenticate and check an image or letters and type them along with your login details.) These types of sites deter use by scammers as their scripts can't really be used to harvest accounts by randomly guessing passwords and trying to login multiple times.

Make sure to get insurance or allow UPS / FedEx to pack your items - if a scammer does take advantage this can often be the one step that saves you from getting completely ripped off.

Just like you keep a radio log - report the scammers info, IP address, and anything else to the forum, the FBI / IC3 / Local Authorities and sites like 419.

Keep all emails exchanged, and messages via forum mail backed up. If at all possible try to get logs by asking for them from providers.

Tools like whois and search engines are often useful as well - scammers often use the same text in emails and other patterns - compare portions of their suspected message to searches via google and other sites.

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/blog/2009/04/30/gone-phishing/

Anything that pops up with AFRIKANET / AFRICANET in the whois info for relaying servers will almost always be a scammer. (.000000000001% chance they are not)

Ask a friend to take a look when in doubt as well - something that seems too good to be true probably is!

2. KD8QOI

KD8QOI Ham Member QRZ Page

Get his real IP and report it to the ISP. Get 100s of QRZ members to call the ISP and complain and they will atleast tell him to stop..

3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not really practical and I don't think it helps.

How would I, as a user, receive my first PIN? If the answer is "login to your qrz.com page" then that defeats the purpose of it.

Would it have to be snail mailed to the person? That means extra cost and work for qrz.com. Frustration and delay for the user.

As for drivers license etc, are you restricting this to USA only or do you expect qrz.com staff to have the knowledge and training to validate licenses from other countries? Again, quite impractical.

As for "three tries of the PIN and you're out", that has problems too. I've seen that sort of thing used for the login on websites if you get the password wrong. It allows a troublemaker to lock someone else out by simply trying three random PINs or passwords.

4. K7NIK

K7NIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been scammed once on eBay, QRZ and QTH. eBay for,$550.00, QRZ for $550.00 and QTH for $1500.00. There seem to be more dishonest deals out there on every !!!! So buyer beware....

5. N7JPB

N7JPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw this ad on 4x4ham.com
    In his profile he said he lived in CA. But I did a lookup of the call sign he was using and I got the following information.

KD0BIE
    Daniel A Landsness
    35 15th St. S.W.
    Le Mars, IA 51031

I did a reverse address look up and got this information:

Gary P Landsness
    Home (712) 546-9332
    35 15th St SW
    Le Mars, IA 51031-2717

I call the phone number and talk to the mother who said her son still lives in Le Mars, IA. But she would not give me a phone number for him.

I found a facebook page for him and sent him a private message, but did not get a response. (https://www.facebook.com/landsness?fref=ts)

Here is a copy of the text of the messages he sent me. I saved the messages with headers and sent them in with my complaint to IC3 website http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Message 01

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 02

+++++ End of Message 02

Message 03
    +++++ end of message 03

This guy had a strange accent that his mother did not have. Also the phone connection was really bad.

Message 04
    ++++++++ End of Message 04

Message 05
    ++++++++ End of Message 05

Message 06

+++++++++++ End of Message 06

Message 07

+++++++++ End of Message 07

************Message 08 *********************
    +++++++++++++++++++End of Message 08 +++++++++++++++++++

****************** Message 09 *****************************
    ++++++++++++++++++++ End of Message 09 +++++++++++++++++++++

********************Message 10 *****************************
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++ End of Message 10

************************* Message 11
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++ End of Message 11

*************************Message 12
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++End of Message 12

A fellow ham was able to trace the photo to and ad on this website http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?383277-FLEXRADIO-3000-SDR-RIG

The ad was pulled from 4x4ham.com after I made the phone to the seller. But I kept emailing him trying to get more info on him and give the law time to catch him. I had sent all the info to the ic3.gov website form.

6. KV4PL

KV4PL Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a lot of ads saying no PayPal. I don't care how good a deal it is and could care even less for the reasons they don't, won't or can't take PayPal. To me it's a red flag and I'm not putting up my money to someone I've never met or had dealings with without some kind of protection. I've been buying things on line for years and always use PayPal. 1 time I had to file a PayPal dispute. It was resolved before I had to escalate it to a claim. It's a shame there's so many dishonest people.

7. KF5CNM

KF5CNM Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI, the email address is a giveaway:

ogajorg@yahoo.com

Oga is a word meaning "boss" in the Igbo language (spoken in Nigeria). Scammer bosses are often called Oga.

8. NY4I

NY4I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know I never would use it, but isn't the rule here to never, ever use Western Union for radio sales? You see that so many times on all the ham radio for sale sites so one has to ask why some would go for it? I suspect it combination of the plausible sales pitch (using the Flex 3000 as a backup to their Flex 5000 is a nice touch and does imply serious domain knowledge about ham buying habits) and an overly good offer that makes this possible. I suspect this was a valid ad at one point as $1300 for a Flex 3000 is not that great a deal which would explain the plausible scenario.

I tend to follow three rules when dealing with any business transactions:
    1) Never, ever buy anything from a person that shows up at your door. I even tell the Girl Scouts that I will buy their cookies from their table in front of the grocery store. Door to door is not the way serious people do business (yes, no exceptions, ever Mr. alarm company/tree service/cable guy).

2). A simple rule is never give any payment information to someone that contacts you. If your minister calls and says they need money for the church van so they can take the missionaries to the airport, call him back. Same goes for the Internet. If you follow that rule, you do not have to think if the offer sounds too good to be true. If they call you, never give credit card information, ever.

3. When you hear that offer that is too good to be true, ask yourself if you would do the deal if the radio was only $100 below HRO price. If the little price difference does not make the risk worth it, then just don't do the deal. Ultimately, jumping on a deal that is too good to be true is about greed. We think it is a great deal and the poor sap selling it to us doesn't realize how much it is worth or is too naive to know better (like talking the widow down below a fair price at the SK estate sale--amazingly it happens). The fool and his money are soon parted and seller beware, but if we remove greed for a good deal out of the equation, our decisions may be better. That has been hashed before, but if the negotiation is anything but Win-Win, then you could be on the losing end too.

That being said, For Sale. Large historical bridge, well-maintained and high pedestrian traffic. Spans the vast East River between Brooklyn and Manhattan. Pay by Western Union only, clear title, only $20,000 (joking of course).

Regards,

Tom NY4I

9. KK6CRP

KK6CRP Ham Member QRZ Page

I live a few miles from this address you posted above I live in Chino Hills near to Chino. Do you want me to go look into this address? At least I can find out if some type of scam is going on. Perhaps a picture or a few questions. We sure need to catch these SOB's. If a money order is going to this address someone must be picking it up.

Send me a message if you want someone actually to go look at the drop-off point of this scam.

73's

KK6CRP
    doopys@hotmail.com

10. KK6CRP

KK6CRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just checked it out there is no 24 Euclid ave in Chino. However there is a 24S Euclid ave in Ontario (just North of Chino) this area is a commercial area and the building is a fast cash check cashing agency.

KK6CRP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.