QRZ needs your help - LETS CATCH THIS GUY!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by AA7BQ, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AE2S

AE2S QRZ Lifetime Member #101 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'll keep a lookout but here is a thought.....

If you are going to buy a rig from here (and I have done so many times) and you have any concerns, then why not ask the seller to take another picture of the rig with YOUR callsign in front of it on a piece of paper. This way you can eliminate the possibility of the seller not having the radio. I was asked to do this once (even though I do prefer PayPal) and I did it willingly and quickly. A legit seller will have no problem doing this for a prospective buyer, especially if he's asking a lot of money for the radio.

Just my nickles worth of advice......

Steve - AE2S

KJ4POM, KD5UVI, K4XJ and 3 others like this.
  2. N4USS

N4USS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Make sure your email password is not your call sign. Hams have a tendency to do this and it could lead to complete identity theft.

3. W6GQ

W6GQ Swap Meet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I also offer to put the radio on any frequency of the buyers choice and take a picture of the radio on the frequency for them, just another way of proof that I have the radio in my possession.

KJ4POM, K4XJ, M0VOZ and 1 other person like this.
  4. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tracking Report - Richard Heong

This is a message from the hacker that was impersonating WC8I, asking for payment on an AL-1500 Amp:

In a subsequent message, he provided the following street address for the bank account:

In this scheme, the hacker said that the account for the wire transfer was a 'Business account' and so that might lead the victim to ignore the fact that the account owner's name DID NOT EVEN COME CLOSE to the impersonated selling party's name (WC8I, William Deen).

The victim is now out $1500 and we now have an official case of WIRE FRAUD on our hands.

K4XJ and KE0EYH like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Local deals" are looking more appealing all the time.

Hate to have the "if I can't touch it, it doesn't exist" attitude but it works pretty well...:eek:

6. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

$1500 for an AL-500 is not really out of line Price wise for AMP and TUNER, but C'mon guys, let's use a little common sense. Wire Transfer, and yahoo.com email. In this case WC8I does (or did) have a yahoo.com email, but one letter was missing from the phonies. If one thing seems weird (like price), question it. If two things seem weird Think real hard, and if three things seem weird, run like hell.

While we see these posts all the time about being careful with these transactions, some either don't read this stuff, or just can't comprehend what can happen to THEM. I have received emails from some hams that have told me the only reason I post about the Phonies is so I don't have any competition and can get all the great deals. Yep, that must be it!

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You just have to be careful, you can get taken in a face to face deal.
    I wouldn't have any problem buying or selling from posters here on the Zed, and I have done it.

8. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh ya ... I like a good mystery. Time to get my Backtrack and Maltego back up and running. I gave pen testing and the Defcon conferences up awhile ago, but looks like I can use this to try to crack this one. Just give me some time. Of note, please nobody use their same passwords for QRZ as they do for their email addresses. Especially Yahoo. Yahoo is the easiest email provider to get anyones password. Details on request. But do not use the same password, it could easily be happening that the hacker is taking users of QRZ with yahoo mail and going through the email to QRZ, its easy to do, but only if you use the same passwords.

9. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is wire fraud. I would call the FBI now and let them trace the accounts and ip’s of the impersonator criminal. Also, as most of us have been warned, I would remove this posting now, to not allow the hacker to know we are even aware of his misdeeds. It will be harder to catch him if he knows we are out to find him.

10. WT2TT

WT2TT Ham Member QRZ Page

For over a week I went round and round with hamradiolover45@gmail.com pretending to be VE3MF. I did quickly think this was a scam, but did not want to insult the man if he was the real man. As time went on it became very evident this was a phoney after I did some investigating. I did talk personally to the real VE3MF on the phone about this. This guys IP address is out of Mountainview, CA, the same place I was scammed several months ago from. Fortunately, I had no lose except time, many emails, and headaches. I did finally send an email to this character letting him know I knew he was a joke in not so nice words to him. From others, I heard that this same place in California other scams are coming out of. Might be some racket going on there at the server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.