ad: wmr-1

QRZ Introduces The Master of Radio Communications Africa Award

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Apr 19, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VA3QY

VA3QY Ham Member QRZ Page

But why did they create this one. Already there is a long standing award from SARL - All Africa Award.

SARL Awards

I got mine long time ago and it was one of the most difficult ones despite being based out of A22.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  2. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not have it? The site creates its awards program to increase activity in its logbook function. It's fun to collect the badges that appear on the user's profiles. They have all continents covered with the exception of Antractica. You can either collect these awards or ignore them. Hopefully it generates some revenue for the site owner.

K7CMA, N3RYB, KF7WIS and 4 others like this.
  3. VA3QY

That is fine. I wanted to highlight that there is a long standing award out there people may not be aware of.
    My view point it is meaningless to have too many same type of awards.

4. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I get your point. Thanks for mentioning the SARL - All Africa Award.

I do feel there is room in the grand scheme of things for a site to have its own awards. It poses no threat to the already established awards programs, imo. These awards require no physical QSL cards. All you need to do is be active in using the logbook function. I wish I could say the same about the money I spent chasing the "traditional" awards years ago. I probably spent more money over the years than the value of my station. To each his own.

N3RYB and VA3QY like this.
  5. VA3QY

No. Only award I got in my 30yrs as ham was this particular one as it was the most difficult.
    Main thing is to enjoy this unique hobby. Met man good people as a result in person as well.

K2CD likes this.
  6. ZS1SI

ZS1SI Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a tough one even for those of us that live on the continent. In the last month I've heard, South Africa, Namibia, Kenya, Algeria, Morrocco and that is about it. Going to be a toughie even on FT8

W6ZD and W9HJ like this.
  7. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What are the requirements to achieve this award ?

OK read a little more and you need 76 confirmed contacts with AF.

I ran my log through some filters from 1970 and it seems while I have 300+ contacts into AF, only 36 are confirmed either by card or LOTW.

So, how does QRZ know I have a bunch confirmed from hard cards but not via QRZ, before QRZ was even thought of ?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  8. ZS6AF

ZS6AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of ZS stations on the air . ZS6CCY is very active on 40mtr
    ZS6HA
    LOTS of other ZS stations also on 40 mtrs every morning with K6MYC
    Lots of ZS on digital ....

U need more speaker time.... and keep eye on www.pskreporter.info

K4KID likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Just be aware that for MOST hams in the Western US / Pacific Northwest US, having a QSO with a ham in Africa (anywhere in Africa!) can be very challenging. Even on FT8 most of Africa is out of reach for a lot of us.... much less having a SSB conversation :)

We know there are a many hams in ZS-land and that's awesome!

It just takes a really good propagation and good antennas to reach you - a lot of "hops" are needed from here to there :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K7CMA, PY2NEA and WD4ELG like this.
  10. NE8S

NE8S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This question is directed to the Administrator KF7WIS:

Why is the 12 meter band omitted from this AFRICA award ???

When all of the other QRZ Award Continents have the 12 meter band.

Doc NE8S

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

When summoning other members, but an "@" before their call like this: @KF7WIS and @NE8S

They will then see an "alert" to let them know they have been mentioned in a post.

Dave
    W7UUU

12. WH6CLZ

WH6CLZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I only talked to S. Africa once in 25 years. Since Jan 23rd, I have 5 contacts on FT8 this year. It's opening up. I had only a few EU contacts now I make contacts every day.
    Good luck! Aloha WH6CLZ, Howard

13. VA3QY

From zs you have to beam long path figuratively and hawaii is exactly 180 all.direction. I would aim north east east and get hawaai every year. Ah6hy was a regular meet. Always contacrs possible on equinox times

14. ZS1SI

ZS1SI Ham Member QRZ Page

From just outside Cape Town I get my best result short path. In the 4 odd months playing around on FT 8 I have 32 states confirmed, 9 waiting confirmation and the remaining are Hawaii, Alaska and the Mid States, I run on average 80watts into a Mosley mini 33 warc about 10 foot in the air....(that way me neighbours dont see it!)

N8ZI likes this.
  15. VA3QY

Yes. CT you are slightly at different latitude. From mafikeng, Gaborone it is slightly different