QRZ interaction with LOTW

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4CQB, Nov 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4CQB

KN4CQB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Howdy - i have searched the web on this but still don't think I have the answer. I mainly use QRZ to log contacts. I will then upload to LOTW.

There are many call signs that I log in QRZ that are not QRZ members. How do I get confirmation of them from LOTW if the other operator uses it?

I am yet to understand how to log a contact in LOTW - seems like this is only done via an import from a separate logging program?

How do contacts get confirmed in LOTW and then when I download to QRZ do I get credit for the contacts?

Thanks and 73

Rich - KN4CQB

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think it was a mistake for ARRL to call it "Logbook of the World" when there is no actual "logging function"!! You are totally correct, that it is only done by uploading a TQSL-signed ADIF file from some "actual logging program".

IF you are already signed up with LoTW, and IF you export your QRZ contacts from QRZ Logbook, and IF that all happens on the computer that has your TQSL software for signing ADIF files, simply export via QRZ under "Settings" and note where you download the file so you can find it, then launch TQSL and click "sign and upload ADIF file to LoTW". That will then upload all the QRZ ADIF contacts into LoTW.

I believe you can also shorten that by clicking "upload to LoTW" from within your QRZ settings, again this only works if that computer has your TQSL software and certificate loaded on it.

Of course, only if the other station has uploaded matching data to LoTW using their account, you won't get matches.

But that's the way you do it. I've done it a few times, just to "keep things in sync" and it works great.

The key is you have to do the "sign and upload" bit using TQSL on the same computer that you launch LoTW from

I hope that helps :)

Dave
    W7UUU

3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

You'll need to be a paying member of qrz but that will allow you to export your qrz log to lotw.
    You can load your lotw information to qrz without being a paying member of qrz.
    Easiest way I found for logging and then loading those logs to lotw (and eqsl) is the n3fjp computer logging software. Easily worth the 25 bucks and makes logging easy. I was so impressed by his field day program I bought the ac log for regular use then I just bought the rest of the specialized logging for contests and such.
    At the end of my radio session i upload to eqsl and lotw, takes a couple of minutes. Then when I come to qrz i upload my lotw to qrz. All easy for this luddite.

WZ7U and K8BZ like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can manually enter contacts with TQSL. If you want/need to.

K8BZ likes this.
  5. KN4CQB

KN4CQB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for all the input folks. So if someone is not using QRZ, but uploads a log to LOTW, and then I download that log and it matches what I have in QRZ is that counted as confirmed?

Ya know - there are probably better things to worry about!

W4IOA likes this.
  6. NA9X

NA9X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, when you download a matched QSO from LOTW into the QRZ logbook, it will be a confirmed QSO in QRZ. You can differentiate a LOTW confirmation by the blue circle around the star in the QRZ logbook.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As has been said, they really should have called LOTW, "Confirmations of the World or QSLs of the World." Oh, you can enter QSOs manually into it, but you really wouldn't want to. There are plenty of free or inexpensive logging programs that make LOTW a breeze.

If you don't mind spending a little money, N3FJP is a very nice program.

A little more (I believe it's still on sale for 70 dollars) will get you the excellent Ham Radio Deluxe.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  8. NA9X

NA9X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

+1 HRD Logbook - It took me a while to get use to it but now I love it, esp. the feature that automatically sends new QSOs to QRZ, HRDlog, Clublog, eQSL and makes uploading to LOTW one-click quick.

W4NNF likes this.
  9. NK4L

NK4L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. NK4L

NK4L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just started to do this today and I don't see it happening, I picked one just to see how it works I picked one that had a star confirmed in QRZ and told it to upload to LOTW and it went but still can't find it on LOTW?