ad: M2Ant-1

QRZ.COM Database via APRS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE2FET, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KS4T

KS4T Ham Member QRZ Page

2. VE2FET

VE2FET Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi.  Here it is again as I posted in my previous post.

PS: DOQRZ is using QRZ.COM data under the authorization from Fred AA7BQ.

As for HRD, ask Simon, he replies to his emails.

As for myself, I'm using my "paid" QRZ.COM account that allows DOQRZ to access QRZ.COM data via QRZ.COM XML Interface.

Don't thank me, thank Fred, the owner of QRZ.COM.

Specifications for XML access to the QRZ Database:
    http://online.qrz.com/specifications.html

Enjoy free access, no ads, QRZ.COM data via APRS using DOQRZ.

"Nothing is free" -  DOQRZ is.

73, Sylvain VE2FET
    http://www.ve2fet.com

3. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

whaw whaw I talk to POLICEMAN FRIEND . O come on now cant decide on your own .USE it or not come on now . Pull your britches up and tie your shoes . And have fun in live its a part of our hobby to use and dont be so aafraid of evry little thing .You might fine the hobby is fun. You dont need to ask people who are not in the hobby .YOU got a license and radio and computor and coax and antenna and what ever else you can find for the hobby and use it play with it have fun.

OR lock your self in a building and hide under your bed because your scared of life and the moveies you watch and the bad storys you might hear. come on now get a life. Make your own decisions. [​IMG]

4. KC0YEF

KC0YEF Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K0QVF

K0QVF Ham Member QRZ Page

I just tried DOQRZ and it did not work, WHO-IS does work. Is DOQRZ down?

Ron - K0QVF

6. VE2FET

It is UP as usual...

Might have been down for a few minutes or for maintenance... but as you can see here, the software is up and running. The screen here is updated every minute or so... It's from the computer runnning DOQRZ, you can see its window...

http://www.ve2fet.com/aprslocal.jpg

73, Sylvain VE2FET

7. HB9TPX

HB9TPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No connection to SAQRZ / DOQRZ

Hello

I tried to use the qrz service over APRS by sending a message to SAQRZ and DOQRZ. On findu.com I can see that the message was sent but I did not receive an answer from QRZ.COM.

I have done it as it is written in this forum and on other websites. I tried it with my VX-8 and my TH-D7.
    I know also other HAM who tried it and it also do not work there.

What I am doing wrong?:confused:

Thank you for your help.

73 de Reto, HB9TPX

8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sylvain:

Just tried this on my D700 in the truck with no luck. My Igate (aprsD), is fully 2-way.

...DOUG

9. WW5RM

WW5RM Guest

Beacon Interval

So you really believe that someone can track you down using Internet and a Beacon being sent out at say 1 minute or 1 mile intervals which should the the max for anyone using APRS. I am sorry but by the time the Beacon is heard at a max rate of 1 min or 1 mile then you will be long gone and a mile radious is a pretty large area wouldnt you say? Plus you can change the beacon rate to something larger.

But if you are not moving and are afraid of them finding where you park then just simply turn it off long before you reach your destination! How hard is that? I really dont understand why so many people say they dont want anyone knowing where they are. If so then what do you have to hide because anyone with any kind of sense can keep someone or even other Hams on APRS from finding you.

Sounds like to me most people either havent done their homework or have no clue as to what is actually taking place with APRS.

DE WW5RM

10. WW5RM

WW5RM Guest

Beacon Interval

Did you discuss with your Police friend that it isnt a continuous Beacon being sent out? Does he even have a clue as to what is actually taking place on APRS? I mean really now if we set our Beacn to say 1 mile or 1 minute then who could find you at that rate? As long as you turn it off long before you get where you are going then a 1 mile radius is a pretty large area dont you think? Heck for that matter increase it to 2 miles and at least you still have the Winlink2000 email, NWS Bulletins, WX Station Info, Call-sign look-up, MSG and other features too.

But say if a criminal wants to find you then they will find you even without the help of APRS. So unless it is a Ham meaning to do you harm I very seriously doubt they would have the knowledge to actually find you even with APRS and Internet tracking. Plus if a criminal is looking for you then wouldnt they know what to look for? So why bother with tracking if all they have to do is follow you? Trying to find someone over APRS to commit a crime doesnt seem like a very good idea because it is much easier to just follow you or target someone close to them. Why go through this much trouble when they could just target someone else? Plus what are they gonna do? Steal your Ham equipment and do what with it? Sell it to another Ham? Sell it on Ebay? I really dont see the threat or very productive as a criminal activity. I can think of a ton of ways to gain more in a shorter amount of time and alot less trouble.

DE WW5RM

11. VE2FET

**UPDATE**
    Followup to this thread:
    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?p=945487#post945487

An issue with the way DOQRZ was interfacing with APRS-IS (Internet Backbone) has been resolved.

If you had problems having DOQRZ to answer your requests this might fix it for you. Make sure your Messages make it to an I-Gate or APRS-IS (APRS Internet backbone).

Also, make sure your ACKs do get to the Internet/I-Gate as well for DOQRZ to send you the next line of Message/information.

Send an APRS message to DOQRZ (it's Delta Oscar...) and simply put a callsign onto the message text for receiving QRZ.COM live data back to you via APRS, mobile, fixed, portable, etc...

Do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best 73,
    Sylvain VE2FET

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.