ad: CrossCountry-1

QRZ Code of Conduct

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I believe I understand part of your question pertains to if a person can increase your lookup count without your knowledge.

The answer was yes because anytime someone looks up your page, it increases your page lookup count. I am just clarifying that it doesn't matter who it is doing the lookup because, the page count result is always the same in both instances.

A third party individual can do this using malicious software in different ways. They can either purposely do this with your knowledge, or maliciously without your knowledge.

The server records the IP address of the individual conducting the lookup and it's sometimes (not always) possible to determine where the page lookup is originating from.

The primary reason why the rule exists is because some users feel that they can increase their lookup count in an automated way using software. They don't think it's a cyber attack because they are only doing it to their own lookup page. They actually think they are doing nothing wrong but this doesn't matter, because it's still "attacking" the website server either way.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

...especially if it is just to appease a handful of people who can't be happy no matter how extreme the level of censorship, or the other handful of people who just aren't capable of discussing an issue on the facts and merits without a deep emotional response.

I think you are on to something...

3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

@KC8VWM
    If this lookup number thing is, in my perception, turning into a big thing why are the QRZ personal pages set up so you can just go into your settings and make the number say whatever you want it to say? I admit I changed mine just cause I was getting tired of getting harassed and put down by a person that kept using his lookup numbers to say how much better then me he was.

Also just to pass my opinion to you (and I am not attacking you as a mod. It is getting scary saying anything on here as it can be taken wrong and off to the cornfield you go.) I think this whole lookup thing should be gotten rid of. Personally I could not care any less about how many people have looked at my page. All it is is just a way that some on here brag about themselves and they ridicule and belittle others because their lookup number are smaller. Is it OK to ridicule and belittle and put down others using their lookup numbers?

John, WB0MPB

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

A valid point ....for starters had no idea an individual could change that number but that's not the issue. For an individual to have that much concern over the number of look-ups or "likes" would seem to indicate a much deeper problem.

W4RAV, AB8MA, WZ7U and 5 others like this.
  5. KC8VWM

John, even if it was removed people can still install "page counters" on their lookup page and manipulate the count numbers the same ways anyways.

But yeah, I get what you're saying about the lookup count serving as some sort of status symbol for some users, but I think addressing this sort of thing beyond whatever "put downs" may be posted in public forums is beyond the scope of anyone at qrz.

Do me a favor John, the next time someone is ridiculing and belittling you in the forums because of your page count, hit the report button.

KU4X and N2EY like this.
  6. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no idea what is meant by "Community Organizer". It is a title that I have never seen used on this site. Is it some level of moderator? It's actually somewhat of an offensive term to some, given its current political implications.

K3XR likes this.
  7. KC8VWM

A community organizer is not only a moderator, but also includes anyone else who is part of a team of individuals in this website community who are responsible for managing various functions and tasks on the website.

N2EY likes this.
  8. WE4B

WE4B Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I just don't understand about the lookup number thing. Out of all the things we have to be grateful for and to fuss about. A lookup number really seems trivial.

W4RAV and WB0MPB like this.
  9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Yet some worship their lookup number and love to post their number to put others down. :rolleyes:

John, WB0MPB

KU4X likes this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually enjoy seeing people post their contest scores. That basically proves that they don't understand how to compare whatever other thing is being discussed (antennas, radios, conditions, operator skills, etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.