QRZ Classified Scams Are Out of Control!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WB0VHB, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB0VHB

WB0VHB Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted a WTB for a Kenwood HF rig last week. What an eye opening experience!!!

Every single reply was a scam! Not one legitimate email! It appears all the emails came from Nigeria. No surprise.

Be sure to view the email header information of any email regarding the buying or selling of gear posted on this web site. It is easy to do a IP search to determine what location the email originated from.

Also know the product you are buying or selling. The rig I wanted to buy hasn't been made in years. However the seller said he was the original owner and bought it last June! Red flag!

Bottom line, ask lots and lots of questions and investigate the person selling the gear. I now treat every email as a scam until the seller can prove otherwise.

Ebay is not looking so bad after all. There you have a selling history to go by. And if using Pay Pal (instead of Western Union) you have their buyer protection to fall back on.

73's
    Randy
    WB0VHB

2. N4ZTA

N4ZTA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ebay is worse

Ebay is worse. Absurd listing fees, jacked up FVF's (EVEN ON SHIPPING CHARGES), Payfraud fees...seller protection? Ha ha, scamming turd can send back a box o' rocks- so long as they use signature confirmation, PP rules in THEIR favor, they get your money AND the item. Been there, done that.
    Feedback? Seriously? What a rigged joke. No longer can SELLERS warn others of BUM BIDDING SCUMBAGS, one sided joke of a feedback forum, and buyers can easily leave you a negative that Ebay won't remove even if it's for malicious reasons (like not taking an item back after 60 days).

I've never gotten hosed on here or other Internet trading forums (Batlabs). Key is to do your research. Ask your trading partner for references. Get a phone number. Call them. Any of these Nigerian gutter scum won't do that, they'll quickly go away. Any decent ham will have feedback, Google is your friend!

I don't get these spam emails either, or Gmail does well to block them. Every single piece o' gear I've bought or sold on this forum has been top notch, and painless, not to mention a GREAT DEAL. I bought an FT-8800 two years ago from a ham in Nevada for $225 shipped. Mint condition with remote kit. Go to brokenstolencounterfeitradios.com aka Ebay and idiots are asking 375 for USED 8800's when you go right over to HRO and buy one NEW for 419. Recently got a minty fresh VX-6 off the forum for 225 complete with rapid charger, swivel clip, and heavy duty nylon carry case. Again, sucker price on EPAY is more than this- for some well worn beat up modded POS.

Most hams are honorable, decent people. The few freak nutcases speak for themselves. This forum is great, FREE and if people just used COMMON SENSE in doing a little background on folks they would save themselves much headache and keep the good karma coming.

Ebay is an evil garbage dump of greed, prices are grossly inflated and the venue isn't all that great.

3. WD5JOY

WD5JOY Ham Member QRZ Page

E-Bay rates zero on my scale of 1 -1000! Lost a great HT to a scam-job. Buyer said it was not as advertised even though I had detailed pictures. Also pics when packed - double box - bubble wrap - all the safety precautions. He said it was broken, old, scratched and no battery. Lies. Then he sent back JUST THAT - a junk rig - not mine. Having the serial number did zero with E-Bay or PayYourPals. I lost the HT and the money. Sickens me to think of scam jobs running wild. "Power Sellers" sell VHF amps all day long; Joe Licensed Amateur no-can-do; they yank it when a complaint is filed. Probably by "Power Sellers" who are selling Italian or some such manufacture amps. A lot of ROT!

4. AB1M

AB1M Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a ups store down ths streets from me. When I ship through them, I just put the item on the counter. They,weigh,measure,pack & ship. Start using that service the buyer pays S&H.

I often bring the item in advance to get an estimate for S&H before I post.

73 de ab1m.

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have bought and sold on The Zed it is by far better than E-Bay.

6. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed!

And Hello Randy WBØVHB! I haven't spoken to you since I left Monmouth. Thanks for all the repeaters and APRS digipeters.

7. KA3YLY

KA3YLY Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess ebay is different for for different people I have been selling and buying on ebay for 10years and only once was I dissappointed with what I bought and only twice did I get taken buy buyers the loss was very minimal. I limit the cost of what I will spend on ebay in otherwords I might buy something listed under 200 dollars but I will never spend 300 or more for any item on ebay I will look locally for such an item. In several instances I received more than I thought I would ever get for an item.

8. KJ6EZQ

KJ6EZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, Ebay is not so great. People use fake accounts to inflate their seller rating, making the whole system useless.

9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only problem with UPS Stores is the expensive charge for packing. I had some antennas for sale, didn't have the correct size box. Took it to the UPS Store, they charged 14.95 for packing and the box. Then 12.50 to ship. All for a $50 sale. Had two potential buyers back out after quoting the shipping charge.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

10. KE4YOG

KE4YOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Either the scammers are not doing their job or taking Christmas off or something. I posted a wanted add and did not get the general I have the item out for sale. It in goodly working order. Please e-mail me so we can set price. I only do Western Union.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.