ad: Radclub22-1

QRZ Assistant now available in Google Play

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Today we are pleased to announce that our flagship app for Android, QRZ Assistant is now available to all users worldwide.

This app replaces our older product known as QRZ Droid. This new version includes a ton of new features and graphics, including a live GPS-enabled compass that plots distance and direction for both local and remote antenna alignment.

compass.png

txrx.png

For example, suppose that the bearing to a station in Turkey is 28 degrees (ref. true north). Your antenna should pointed northeast at 28 degrees to aim for the shortest path to Turkey. What direction then, would you expect the station in Turkey need to align with your QTH? In this example, the "receive bearing" for the Turkey station would be 328 degrees! These are Great Circle bearings that are based on the true shortest path between stations. Thanks to the magic of Android and their wonderful built-in geographic functions, we are able to provide highly accurate bearings and distances for both ends of the QSO.

Of course, QRZ Assistant is a great callsign lookup app as well! Get instant access to the entire collection of 1.5 Million call signs at the tip of your finger, any time, wherever you go (cell coverage permitting). Check out my listing below:

bq.jpg

The app also provides complete integration with Google Maps, along with street, satellite, and terrain mapping options.

We hope that you'll find this a handy addition to your phone. At only 3.7 Mb, it provides a lot of features in a compact space. Many more features per megabyte than nearly all Windows programs :) HI HI.

The release of this edition culminates a 3 month concentrated effort where my wife, family and friends had been wondering "where's Fred?", or more succinctly, "IS IT DONE YET????". Well, after a successful Beta test I'm very happy to answer in the affirmative: YES IT IS!

Many will wonder about availability for iPhone, IOS platforms. As you may or may not know, in today's world, there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING in common between Android and iPhone software development. There is no viable way to write a single program that works on both phones. The only way to bring this to iPhone is to start a brand new project, and, ready for it.... another 3 month development effort! I would be kidding if I said that "my wife said OK" with getting started on it today. I/we need a break from my lonely existence in my basement office, and with any luck, I'll be ready to tackle it later in the year. And oh, note the exuberance I must anticipate knowing that I'll have to learn yet another new and largely perfunctory programming language (either Swift or Objective-C), a whole new operating system (IOS), and then hold my breath and hope that Apple approve the app for publication. It would be easier to learn Chinese, I think. Nonetheless, I'm up to the task, even if it's just a bit begrudging of Apple and their iron-fisted control over the ecosystem.

So, fire up your Android phone and go to Google Play. Search for QRZ Assistant and be on your way!

73, -fred

TA3ANK, W6GH, AJ4EM and 21 others like this.
  2. KB9RDS

KB9RDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool, looks good Fred... You can see you put some hours in building this app. Thanks.

N2NH and WE8HNT like this.
  3. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred have you considered looking at cross platform programming. It's available through Visual Studio.

Screenshot (1).png

N9PBD, N2NH, F4VSE and 2 others like this.
  4. WE8HNT

WE8HNT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice App. Fred, Thanks & 73.

5. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

A job well done, Fred! And as one of the "Beta Testers", it was a fun ride through all the revisions :D So, naturally, my next (stupid) question: Will I need to go to the Play Store and download the "Final" version? or can I (we) still continue using our Beta version (the last one) ?? And, no, I am "not" a computer/tech nerd o_O 73 for now. Carl de NĂ˜CEL

6. W0FW

W0FW Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome job, Fred.....thanks for taking me along for the ride. I enjoyed the Beta testing....

7. N2IPH/SK2022

N2IPH/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your hard work Fred, I downloaded the app this morning and it is a huge change from QRZdriod. The compass will be of great use when looking to align antennas. Wish I had had it last week when I set up a fixed 2m beam to a local ham. I used Google Earth but would have been easier to just walk out with my phone and use the compass in the new QRZ Assistant to point the antenna.

Any plans to add logbook entries from the app? That would be great for mobile use (NOT while driving of course).

8. ZS3WL

ZS3WL Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent Fred. yerp QRZ does certainly not lag behind

73de
    ZS3WL
    WOODY COLLETT

9. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job, Fred!
    Mel - KS2G

KA7SWP likes this.
  10. KA3ZAI

KA3ZAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job Fred!
    Best 73,
    Lou - KJ3LR

11. KW6GB

KW6GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Quick install. Automatically replaced QRZdroid. Looks great! Thanks for the hard work.
    73, Greg KW6GB

12. NC4WB

NC4WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice - thanks!

For those who can't wait for the iOS/MacOS version, QRZ Assistant runs nicely on the free "Nox App Player". (https://www.bignox.com)

73s,
    Bill
    NC4WB

13. K7BJS

K7BJS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice Job Fred, I appreciate your work on this..
    All the Best
    Jack - KD9ERA

N2IPH/SK2022 and W0HR like this.
  14. KJ4BIX

KJ4BIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish more would consider Xamarin via Visual Studio, I use the same code for iOS, Android and Windows (10). The app uses Azure App Services for data (including synchronization), mapping, GPS, 3D graphics from C# for all platforms. Maybe it will catch on, then you can ship the same app for all environments virtually at once.

Alan / KJ4BIX

KM5BOR likes this.
  15. K0NFY

K0NFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Where can we download this from?