ad: Bamatech-1

QRZ Asian Award

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by K4ZOT, Mar 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4ZOT

K4ZOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see that the QRZ Asian Award requires confirmed contacts with 53 countries in Asia. Does anyone feel that this number of contacts is a little high for this award compared to the other QRZ awards?

Glenn

2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

in a way, yes.
    but dxcc is 100 and I have that and WAS
    I dont think that is an award that is possible at this qrt.
    I run 100W with wire antennas and worked about 6 countries there in the last year. prior to that (51yrs) I rarely heard JA's
    Probagation isnt the best from here to there on a good day, however saying that, I've heard and worked more rare stuff here with my 9100 and wire antennas that I've ever heard in the past 51yrs. Its just rarely a good path to that area

I wont be putting up a huge yagi or get a 2K amp either so not going to worry about that award.

As a canuk (eh!) I'd like to see a Canada award and if the logs here ever accept satellite entries, a satellite award

KC1OCA likes this.
  3. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's all I've got and I'm closing in on it. :)

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its really odd here, about 15miles from London almost in the sticks
    Some guys in London get into a BC net on 20M way better than I do
    Just seems to be in a communications black hole for the far east and Vancouver Is.
    Yet alaska to the north - no problem and ZL&VK to the south no problem
    Just that corridor from Vancouver Is. westward
    I also do ok off the end of my 20M dipole down into chile or especially brazil

Maybe I'll do some wspr beacon tests and get an idea of where I'm heard
    I'll keep trying and pick away

5. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too have 100 watts and a wire and don't hear that many asian stations in the middle of Illinois. So I guess I will pass on that one too. I asked about a Canada award before but never heard nothing about it so guess its out the window.

6. W0AQ

I'm for the Canada award too but Nunavut will be tough.

7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Every place has it's own peculiarities with regards to which areas we can work easily and which ones we can't. Our physical location and space really defines who we can work and who we can't.

So, the realtors have it right: location, location, location!

Having said that, I too, only use wires in the trees. I've been fairly successful here, more than I thought when we first moved here. We bought this home in a period when ham radio was not a big item for me. We liked the house so we bought it. It wasn't until I started to get back into ham radio that I became a bit disappointed with our location. But, as is often the case, I made the best of it and it's been OK...

The QRZ awards are nice. I'm most likely not going to apply / purchase a certificate at present. Maybe later. Right now, I'm kind of concentrating on ARRL awards. Just applied for 5BAND WAS and working on 5BAND DXCC. So, I can see that awards like the QRZ one are gaining favor with hams and that's great! At some time in the future, I will probably buy some of the nice certificates. In the meantime, we can look forward to the Canadian Provinces award. A small hint for that one: ARRL November Sweepstakes is the place to get those hard-to-work provinces. Also maybe Canadian holidays and Field day events.

Keep up the chase and eventually the awards will come!

8. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Ham Member QRZ Page

It is indeed a challenging award. I am only 63% there. I am using a simple wire dipole.
    My strategy for one is to go for most of it via the Middle East countries across six bands (80 to 15 meters). Japan and Asiatic Russia help a lot. It is the seemingly easy countries like China and India that are difficult to reach from my QTH and South East Asian countries are really challenging.

I think it is all relative. This is easy award for European, African, Asian and Australian hams.
    I noticed many hams that got their Master of Asia recently, are still missing their WAS awards.
    I have gotten WAS on 6 bands and I am working on my 7th band for WAS. :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  9. WB3JAC

WB3JAC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If an award isn't tough to get, it isn't worth much.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. W0AQ

I agree. It will still be tough. :)

WB3JAC likes this.