ad: AbAuRe-1

QRZ App for Android now in Beta Testing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, thanks for that info.

I'm using an HTC Desire 510 here. Not sure how old it is, but probably close to 5 years.

Specs:

4.7" screen
    480x854 pixels
    16:9 ratio.

Android 4.4.2

So that's what it is anyway. I really like the compass and find the interface quite intuitive and easy on the old eyes too. Great job.

Thanks Fred.

2. AB0E

AB0E Ham Member QRZ Page

I have attempted to log into the app using the same callsign and password I used to log onto the site here and am getting an error that says "Authorization Problem"

I've tried with 2FA both on and off and Force Stopped the app and Cleared Cache.

Attached Files:

KC1ILH likes this.
  3. K4VL

K4VL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I downloaded it to my sndrAnd tablet and everything appears to be working. This looks like a great app.

4. AB0E

AB0E Ham Member QRZ Page

Just thought I should add system specs.

Samsung Galaxy S7- SM-G930P
    Android 7.0
    March 1st 2018 Security Patch

5. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

The App does not use 2FA. Your existing call sign and password are all that's required.
    You can test your login by attempting login at https://xml.qrz.com/xcheck if you can login there then use the same password for the App.

73, -fred

6. AB0E

AB0E Ham Member QRZ Page

I can log into https://xml.qrz.com/xcheck but even today after using the same logon info the app is still giving me the "Authorization Problem" error in the screenshot I posted above.

KC1ILH likes this.
  7. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

I found QRZDroid very easy and straight forward to install on my Galaxy S5. As soon as the program was loaded, it worked just great. It will come in very useful when I am out and about on foot with my H/H. Thank's a lot de John - G0WXU

8. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't afford the memory space needed for a niche app like this. What would be better is a phone friendly web site.

KC1ILH likes this.
  9. KC1ILH

KC1ILH QRZ Lifetime Member #289 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Like N0KZD, I can login at https://xml.qrz.com/xcheck from any of several desktop and laptop computers, but not via the App. Unlike N0KZD, the App gives me the bad username/password message, no matter whether I type them in character-by-character or copy and paste them. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the [beta] app, and get the same results after as before.

The only time I received the "Authorization Problem" error message N0KZD refers to was when I entered an incorrect [all lower case] username to test. I was able to login after that, using the correct username and password. That was shortly after I initially installed the app and before updating to .30.

Is there any way I can stop the login screen from automagically resetting/clearing the fields when I try to use a password manager, cut-and-paste, or twitch my eye at it the wrong way? I am trying to use the app on a Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U1 running Android 8.0.0.

73 de KC1ILH/Dan

Attached Files:

10. AA7BQ

I took a look at both yours and N0KZD login attempts. There is a problem in the code, which I will work on now, related to the complexity of your password(s). If you use a textually simpler password (without punctuation) for your QRZ login, it will work now. Otherwise, you can wait for the next update.

Here's a quiz: Which password is more secure?

1jd%321.@

-- or --

myparakeetlovesbourbon

Answer: A drunk parakeet is more secure. See https://xkcd.com/936/ for a detailed explanation.

-fred

(Note: the QRZ website is okay with the complex, short passwords as described above. The problem is only with the app at this time.)

11. AA7BQ

Also, I neglected to mention that a password manager is not needed for this app. Once logged in, your session will stay active indefinitely, unless you uninstall or forcibly log out. You are responsible for the physical security of your device. :)

W5PFG likes this.
  12. AA7BQ

Micro release 32 just posted. Update through Google Play.

This release fixes the complex password problem described in the previous post.

13. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice... fixed the Invalid Session Key error.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

14. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This keeps getting better and better. Thanks QRZ!

15. KC1ILH

KC1ILH QRZ Lifetime Member #289 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, it does. Thank you.

AB0E likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.