ad: TinyPaddle-1

QRZ App for Android now in Beta Testing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Phil,
    Further to the previous message, I found the Fort Thomas, AZ position in my app, as well. I didn't notice when I wrote the previous message. When I uncheck "Use GPS Location", and open the map by using the map icon that appears, the map cursor takes me to a default lat/long position just outside Fort Thomas, AZ, and the bearing and distance use the Fort Thomas position as the refence point. However, the numbers in the "Current Lat/Lon" fields were (39.099700 -94.578600), which is downtown Kansas City, MO.

For correct calculation of distance and bearing you need to override the default reference point for distance and bearing by checking "Use GPS Location" (if you are fine with Google tracking your location), or entering your QTH lat/long position or moving the cursor to your QTH.

Fred may want to change the default position to something neutral like (0, 0), or remove the Fort Thomas, AZ, and the Kansas City, MO, positions and replace them with an error message telling that the user who wants to see distance and bearing, need to go to Menu - Settings and enter a reference point. In your case, Phil, your location is perfectly available in QRZ.com, so QRZ Assistant should be able to read it from there. Why it doesn't may be something for Fred to look into.

73 Frode LA6VQ

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. G0UUU

G0UUU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Frode,

Looking in the settings "Use GPS Location" was already switched off. I switched it on and that has now cured the problem.

Using GPS location, rather than my home address is great for me, as I do a lot of portable VHF work. So being able to see beam headings/distances when I'm /P is a big plus.

Many thanks for the help. It's much appreciated.

73, Phil.

K2NCC likes this.
  3. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Latest micro release is now v.27. You can now see your micro-release version on the About page from the menu.

4. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

GE Fred. Just a quick (probably dumb) question...while v23 works FB with no complaints from *me*, can my version be updated w/o and uninstall? (I haven't checked yet, but before I do *anything*, I was just curious). TY for a fine app!

5. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Please disregard my last query, Fred...I just figured out how the *update* works! TY again ;-)

6. PA5DX

PA5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Works fine here on a simple Huawei P9 android phone.

7. KF5VGK

KF5VGK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All I'm getting is the droid download when I click on the Assistant in Google Play.

8. KI8I

KI8I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I am not seeing the new apps screens. All I get is a black and white screen and a n area to put the call in that I want to lookup. Once the lookup iscomplete, I get a screen with the call info but again black screen with white lettering. No other screens available. Using a Samsung S7 active. What's up with this. I had the older version of QRZDroid installed and removed it before installing new app.
    Dave, WV8DH

9. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing's up with this, except you haven't followed the instructions. See AA7BQ's instructions on how to become a beta tester for QRZ Assistant, which will give you access to what is still a beta version. You will find the instruction in the very first message in this thread, as well as in message #48 towards the end of page 5. Good luck. It is well worth checking out.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps make the verified icon a working link to a page describing the program.

Similar to what occurs when you click the verified icon on my name badge to the left of this post.

11. WA2DE

WA2DE Ham Member QRZ Page

The search feature does not seem to support compound callsigns.
    Wayde

12. AA7BQ

Just to add to the confusion, there are a couple of different components to the program. First, there is the program itself, currently v2.0.27 as shown from Menu->About.

Then, there are template updates, which are done automatically over the wire. These do not update the software per se, but rather the page layouts and text. The "update" function I described earlier forces a fetch of new templates, even if there is no new changes to fetch. The update command also flushes the program's internal cache, which may be helpful in some situations.

Just remember that with each new Micro Release that is announced here, you MUST fetch and reinstall the new program code manually, just like you did when you started in the Beta program. The only way to get this software is by going to:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.qrz.database.callsign

13. AA7BQ

Another issue which may not be solved: The program only works on Android versions 4.4.2 and above. This corresponds to the KitKat version of Android, also known as API Level 19. KitKat was released on October 31, 2013 so that will effectively mean that only devices that are five years old and newer will work.

Earlier, I had hoped to target earlier versions of Android, but alas, these do not have the features we need.

14. W6BSD

W6BSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there any plan for a new version for iPhone?

15. K7VZ

K7VZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

v27 on Samsung Galaxy S7. I am frequently getting "Not found: 1" errors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.