QRS Code Practice "net"?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WF4W, May 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6VL

N6VL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a page at http://n8fq.org/sked/, which already has several sked pages for different groups. It was the precursor to the current SKCC sked page. So contact N8FQ to see if he can help you out.

de Steve N6VL

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Comments from an old, long-time CW op:

First, I think this would be a great effort! But slow-coders in a "net" might be amazingly time-consuming, especially if there were more than just a few in the net. By the time it "goes around" once, band conditions could fade to the point where stations would be dropping off, unless they're all so local to each other they can work direct-wave.

My only other comment relates to the recommended content:
    If we want to create real code operators and not ones who simply convert conversational English into Morse characters, I'd avoid stuff like "Name is RJ. QTH is Roswell, GA. Class is Extra. Been licensed for 28 years BK") when real a real code op would more likely use:

"OP RJ RJ QTH ROSWELL, GA HAMMING 28 YRS BK" and

"RIG IC7300 100W ANT VERT" ...

simply to discourage the use of more words and punctuation than needed, and make the best use of time available. The more compact our use of code language, the more cool information we can provide, to get into the meat of a real conversation. As an example, I never use "periods' on CW at all (nor do any really experienced code ops I ever work, anywhere) unless a period is important to the meaning of the text (which it hardly ever is). ARRL code practice transmissions include periods because they are simply sending QST articles verbatim, and that's likely done automatically with no operator intervention. But while those may be good for practice, they aren't very "true to life" when it comes to how CW is really used.

Just my opinion, but most old-time and experienced CW ops seem to do the same thing and it's a good habit to develop early.

Good luck with the net!:)

KC3BZJ likes this.
  3. KI0A

KI0A Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is a neat idea and would participate if possible.
    I think WB2WIK's suggestion of keeping the wording short and using real-world shortcuts is good, not only for keeping the net short, but also for teaching new CW operators what they are likely to expect and what will be expected from them.
    I think the idea of running at a couple different speeds is good. That gives the 5wpm ops a place to graduate to once they've gotten some practice in!

4. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks for all the suggestions - will integrate some of them into the plan!

5. KB5ZCR

KB5ZCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Any progress on this? I have been out of HF for abt 10 yrs but am getting re-interested in CW and QRP. Looking to pick up a QRP rig soon and have been re-working on my code. Up to about 10-12 wpm and would be interested in listening in (I do have a gen coverage receiver).

6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds fun. I'd participate. I used to operate CW all the time but haven't since the early 90s and, um, not what I used to be. The practice would be great.

7. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

unfortunately, no. Summer sapped my time - I became a little league coach so lost some of my time :) Maybe this will be a late fall and winter endeavor. Anyone interested can make this happen - Just pick a frequency and advertise it!

VE7JBX likes this.
  8. AC1DW

AC1DW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have just started as a ham. I'm interested in CW but just don't seem to get over the first hurdle.

I do check-in to a couple nets on HF phone that use Net Logger. It has AIM (almost instant messaging :rolleyes:) Maybe that could be used? It helps me when I know someone is transmitting but I hear nothing or almost nothing. I know where they are located and whether or not I might make a QSO with them under the conditions of the day.

9. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WA7WJR

WA7WJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NAQCC nets are good, but suggest only running more than 5 watts IF NECESSARY. The primary focus is QRP.

As KC1HEP stated, if you get a CW net listed on NetLogger that free download has instant messaging for net participants...that's one hurdle you don't have to jump. :)

I would also recommend using 2 different bands on different days, and maybe 1 day dedicated to get folks used to working split with their rig. (I am still very much a newbie and it took me 1 missed DX QSO to French Polynesia before I figured out "de TX5EG up". Fortunately I made contact with him 2 days later.)