QRPp

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W7CJD, Jan 9, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W7CJD

3. AF9J

AF9J Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 30m version of this kit. I still need to build it, and come up with some kind of an enclosure for it
    (living in an apartment, it's kind of a hassle to work on enclosures).

Ellen - AF9J

4. W7CJD

Don't they suggest a source?

I used to save likely containers for a project box.

Before that, I folded sheet metal and cut holes with a hole-cutter.

I did find an online source of containers once.

5. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Computer power supply boxes are free with every discarded PC and make good boxes ideal for QRP homebrew gear. Just use bits of circuit board to plug up the holes if required.

N6MST likes this.
  6. W7CJD

hammondmfg.com
    has project boxes

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's quite cute. I might indulge this summer. Have too many projects going right now.

8. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

Super cheap Arduino-based VFO for the cheap Chinese Forty-9er transceiver kits on eBay:

www.farrukhzia.com/k2zia
    (Arduino, encoder, and signal generator module not included. You'll need to figure out your own case too, obviously)

Article in the March 2016 QST

ETA: the Forty-9er is not QRPp, I know, but I'm guessing the VFO could probably be easily adapted to other small QRPp radios like the 1Watter or Rockmite.

9. AF9J

AF9J Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, I'm surprised it isn't. The Chinese kit supplier must have made some changes to the circuit. I built the original NorCal kitted 49er back in the 90s (I also did the VXO mod listed in the NorCal mag), and it was very much a QRPp transciever. With an internal 9 volt battery, I got about 150 mW out of mine. I made a few QSOs with it on 40m. I'm not sure if I even have it anymore. Due to a lack of decent tools, the enclosure I used was a Radio Shack plastic enclosure, that I hacked/cut up to make things fit. It looked awful at best, so I might have thrown away my 49er years ago.

Ellen - AF9J

10. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ordered one of these yesterday. I have built some Elecraft mini-module kits but this will be my first "radio" kit. I'm looking forward to it. I am still very "green" at this stuff. My wife gave me a nice soldering iron for Christmas so I've been finding reasons to use it.

http://hamradioqrp.com