ad: wmr-1

QRPGuys.com Kits are Fantastic

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KN3O, May 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Last night I came home from work to find my kits from QRP Guys has arrived. I ordered the 12W Dummy Load and the End Fed Half Wave Tuner. Both arrived in a small padded mailer, with each kit in it's own ziplock baggie. Time from order to they shipped was a little long, about a week, but I ordered on a Thursday and they normally seem to ship on Wednesday according to the website. Just keep that in mind.

The first kit I put together was the dummy load. The instructions were simple and the kit even simpler. I had it finished in about 10 minutes. The silkscreen was well done and easy to follow. The only "tricky" part (read complete absolute beginner might mess up) is making sure you get the polarity of the diode correct. Even the BNC soldered easier than expected. Using a simple voltmeter you can get power out with some very simple math.

Next to build was the EFHW tuner, which I bought to replace my Dentron Monitor Junior as my SOTA tuner. This kit is slightly more detailed, but still not difficult. The board, instructions, and construction was as well done as the prior kits. Obviously the most difficult part of the kit to assemble are the two toroids. I have wound toroids before but the "tap" they have you include is a new technique to me. I had to rewind one of mine as I broke the magnet wire while twisting the tap. But the kit went together well and now just needs to be tested before it gets taken into the field. For those who have built or used the Hendricks QRP tuner sold by Pacific Antenna, this is the same circuit without the enclosure, and includes the SWR indicating LED.

The total cost of both kits was 35 dollars plus shipping. If you have never put together a kit before I'd highly recommend the Dummy Load. If you want to elmer a new ham on kit building or need an activity for a club meeting of field day I'd also recommend it. It's the easiest kit I've run into that produces a useable piece of equipment.

I'll upload pictures this evening when I'm home.

2. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Richard, absolutely. Hopefully they expand the line, and I plan on buying a couple more kits. I don't have use for anything else they offer, but maybe I will in the future. The paddles they make that you can mount on your QRP rigs look nice and get good reviews so far. WG0AT has a video showing a set he built and likes. The RF Probe looks like a much more difficult kit but I might get it just to try to build it. The frequency counter might be a nice addition to the kits out there that don't provide one (the MFJ cub for example) and comes in both SMT and non SMT variety.

P.S Richard - Your blog inspired me to start my own but so far very little activity as I'm not advertising it much and to be honest, the layout is terrible. I have very little time for such things anyways, so content has come before form. But keep up the awesome work with yours, I check it a few times a week.

AA4OO likes this.
  4. KK4PGH

KK4PGH Ham Member QRZ Page

I put together the keyer and paddle combo, along with the mini tuner yesterday. Never really put together circuit board and what no, but over all these were easy to go together. I also never had to wrap toroids so that was a bit nerve racking lol.

Let me know how your testing goes, I got everything to try out later on today so I will let you know.

5. KJ7AOA

KJ7AOA Subscriber QRZ Page

I have ordered two items from QRPGuys recently, please know that they are slow to ship and my antenna kit showed up missing a part forcing me to order the part from another vendor. I sent them two emails, no response. Projects delayed. Poor customer service. Not pleased.

6. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

From the FRONT PAGE of qrpguys.com:

"We ship product via First Class U.S.P.S., once a week, domestic and international to all countries except Italy."

When did you order your items and when did they arrive?

7. KJ7AOA

First Item, purchased 11/23, arrived 12/06 incomplete. Second purchase 11/28, still no shipping advice and no response to emails.

8. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

So you're looking at six to seven days for shipping, that does seem a tad slow but not ridiculous. Missing a parts in radio kits happen and I would have expected a quick resolution as well, bummer.

9. KJ7AOA

Concur, I can take delays with kitting/delivery with explanation. The negative response is the most irritating aspect. I conduct online sales myself and always respond asap to questions or concerns.

10. KJ7AOA

I'm now using PayPal dispute features with "Doug" of QRPGuys. Instead of handling this matter in person with the customer after multiple emails we have to work this out through PayPal.

#QRPGuys #KI6DS #K5JS #WA4MNT #KD1JV #SP5DDJ #K8TND #N7VE

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018