QRPers: Listen more

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB2WIK, Jan 15, 2022 at 1:57 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Or maybe get better receivers.

I go out of my way to work weaker signals on CW and try to answer those calling CQ on what are known as "QRP frequencies."

Rarely find anyone running 5W who hears me as well (running 100W) as I hear them. If I turn it down to 5W, they don't hear me at all. My antennas are fine.:p

This may be a "local noise level" issue, and I can't help solve that one. But if it's not, I think a lot of QRP rigs either have lousy receivers or the operators aren't really listening to resolve signals as weak as theirs are and are likely missing lots of answers.

2. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would bet your local noise level , I have seen the y Tub videos of folks by you how bad their local noise level is

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What are your antennas? I run 5 watts and a end fed wire SSB. It has only been in the last month or so that I have been able to work someone else running QRP and a wire. I know there more then a few KX3 and KX2s out there and they have good receivers in them. But I run ft-817nd not the greatest receiver. The scale going from something like a rockmite to a KX3 is a big range of quality to draw from. Then you add in that many QRP operators or portable with portable antennas maybe that makes the difference.

N3AWS likes this.
  4. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What does your S-meter show as a noise level?
    I just worked the SST running 5 watts CW into a dipole at 35' & an S-5 noise level and was working stations west of the Rockies with no problems from Northeast Tennessee.
    Probably half my of my operating is at 5Watts or less.

5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You simply stumbled on the secret sadism of QRP: transmit miserable to copy signals but ignore any calling station that's under 20 dB over S9.

ITAL7 and N3RYB like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've done QRP as a major part of the hobby for almost 50 years and have never ONCE taken that attitude. Not sure where you've heard that.

When I'm running just a watt or three, I WELCOME any reply that's at any level of copy.

Just a data point

Dave
    W7UUU

W5ESE, KJ4KPW, WD5GWY and 7 others like this.
  7. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am with Dave, I purposely look for fellow QRP or weak stations to work.

W5ESE and WD5GWY like this.
  8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, even when I'm running QRO, I make a point to listen for the weak ones. But I rarely work QRO, since the vast majority of my QSOs are with my FT-817. I usually just don't bother mentioning it.

N3RYB, N3AWS, KC3RN and 2 others like this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was an avid QRPer for years, so I always apply some extra effort to copy the weak ones whenever I can. I don't know where WIK got the idea they are using crummy receivers. A lot of QRP stations use KX2's, and no one can call the IC-705 crummy.

N3AWS likes this.
  10. G0TNU

G0TNU Ham Member QRZ Page

It's amazing that signal reports are always low.
    Very often if you work a station & say your qrp
    The signal report is lower.

Worked QRP JOTA & logged signal reports as an experiment to prove it,
    Most times if we said we were QRP the signal report was less.

Contesting was a different story!