ad: QSKLLC-1

QRP set-up for a newbie

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by 4G1AOC, Jul 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KO4LZ

KO4LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Or for that matter people who "worked the world on a watt" (and on 10 meters, sideband no less!) during the peak of a phenomenal solar cycle? :)

Everyone has their own priorities, but personally I would rather be remembered for the quality of my QSOs than the quantity (or distance) of my QSOs.

But then again, given my current station/antenna setup, I really don't have much choice here .... :)

Paul, KO4LZ

DU7DVE likes this.
  2. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

No tuner needed (or desired) if you do the antenna trimming before going portable.

That reminds me of something I've just got to shake my head at that hams are doing these days... Why would you want a "portable" QRP rig that consumes over an amp (some rigs >2A) of current on receive, sitting idle??? I just don't understand that.
    Also, why would you want to hump a "go kit" with a transmitting loop or some tripod monstrosity and "antenna analyzer" when you can carry a lightweight resonant multiband dipole instead. Some of the trends and "fads" surrounding the hobby these days are just downright silly but whatever floats folks' boats.

4G1AOC likes this.
  3. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with you on this. A segment dipole and, depending on terrain, a 10 meter fishing pole, and you're in business.

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

The new 'crop' of magnetic loops are very portable. Quality varies, but there are good ones. Cost is another story.

5. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I overheard The Old Timer mutter on a couple of occasions where similar questions were being asked, "Maybe they enjoy it."

W6FYK likes this.
  6. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

God Day,
    Go with a dipole arrangement as shown just below the original of your post. A dipole will actually be easier to deploy and much more efficient. I would also recommend a tuner, the largest you can manage. Larger = more efficient. hth
    Rob

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

If the ground conditions are significantly different at your portable site than they were at the site where you trimmed your antenna, you'll need to make adjustments. So I'd say that normally, you can't trim the antenna before going portable. You may get close, especially if you're always over similar ground, but in my experience, you can almost always improve things by tweaking the lengths of the elements after you've deployed the antenna in the location where you'll be using it.

Personally, I usually bring along a tiny antenna analyzer, and then I can trim my antenna properly in the field so that no tuner is required.

8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think the easiest thing to do would be to takes some wire, toss it into a tree, and use the tuner in the Elecraft to tune it.
    Elecraft tuners tune almost anything.
    If you watch some SOTA video's the guys seem to be minimal, some even using the built in battery in the rigs.

4G1AOC likes this.
  9. 4G1AOC

4G1AOC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank s I actually emailed SOTA to open a club here . but till now no joy.

10. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a cool video.
    I was tuning around after working some AM with my KX2 and heard these guys and worked them.