QRP PSK31 - no kits?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N1KTJ, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, I know people who have the softrock and make QSO's with it. I have a softrock.. I'm still trying to get it to talk to my computer (I think I need a better serial-usb converter).

2. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

PSK31 is all done with software and a PC sound card. Nothing else invovled except wires between the sound card and your radio, which has to operate in SSB mode. QRP CW rigs won't work at all . . . wish they did.

Gary WA7KKP

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

PSK-31 with 1 watt works just fine. I used a friends FT-817 with 1 watt and it worked great. The interface was home brew and consisted of a couple of shielded wires and a USB to Serial Port Converter to work the PTT. I used the connectors in the rear of the unit, but the microphone connector could have also been used. On 10 Meters I use a HTX-100 and run in the 5 watt mode. You don't need a lot of power to work PSK-31.

The other day I heard a special event station on 15 meters. He was so strong that he blanked out the whole waterfall. As I listened, he said that he was running about 100 watts into a tri-band yagi that was pointing east. Everyone complained about the power so he cut it back to 50 watts. He still blanked the waterfall, and I was on the back of the beam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.