QRP paddle suggestions.

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD2RON, Feb 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

Any suggestions as to best paddle for portable operations. Not backbacking so super light weight not needed. Cost is a major factor however. Thanks for any input.

2. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw straight keys and paddle keys on eBay, as a reasonable price.

There are even left-hand and right-hand paddle keys, for side-mounting on a Yaesu FT-817, for example.

Even so, I would look around QRP websites, in particular, to see if there are any club project keys.

4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what I use, which is good up to about 20 WPM. It's just two microswitches glued together, with the cord cut off a pair of headphones. There's a piece of velcro at the bottom, but I usually just hold it in the other hand.

paddles.jpg

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

G0NMY likes this.
  6. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

Has proven to be indestructible:
    Key 002.jpg

AI6KX and K5TEB like this.
  7. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't get any cheaper than this!

8. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't think DIY would be an option for me, but this looks like it is within my skill set to build. Thanks

9. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I always liked the Bencher paddles. I've since changed to the Palm Pico paddles for the KX3. My best set of paddles are the
    Begali Traveler Light paddles.

http://www.i2rtf.com/html/traveler_light.html

They are top of the line paddles. One thing that made choose that model over other Begali models are the protective feet the cover the plastic paddles when they are in storage.

I also use the Vibroplex Warrior Jr paddles but they break too easily. I dropped mine and the plastic paddle broke. My fault, not the fault of the paddles. I ordered two new sets of
    plastic replacement paddles and they are back in service. That's the reason I then changed to the traveler light paddles.

Go to a few friends houses to see what they are using, get a feel of what they have and then make an educated choice.

My web page has a video of three sets of paddles. Watching it may give you some ideas?

http://www.ku3x.net/portable-qrp/elecraft-kx3

Barry, KU3X

W7CJD likes this.
  10. DH5AK

DH5AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the AME porta paddle with a leg mount. When I go hiking I do not have any desk to place the paddle on.
    So I can lean on a tree and I have mounted the paddle to my lap. Take a closer look at: http://www.americanmorse.com/portapaddlelegmount.htm
    It is robust, simple, lightweight and compact. All this makes its price acceptable - in my eyes.

73 de Andy DH5AK

AG6QR likes this.