QRP operating approaches

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by WD4ELG, Mar 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

@N1BRD/Richard

I apologize if my tone came across as snarky.

I was asking you to give me your perspective...which you did, and I am grateful for (including the safety precautions you use, that's very helpful to me).

Thanks and safe hiking, OM. Hope to work you on the air.

N1RBD likes this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRP operating does not imply portable operations under austere conditions.

Now, let's re-start the discussion. ;)

F8WBD likes this.
  3. WD4ELG

That's a good point, Bill. Check out Dan, WG5G, who has achieved DXCC Honor Roll with QRP. His antenna setup is certainly not austere by any means.

QSO Today Podcast - QSO TODAY AMATEUR RADIO PODCAST

4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know why anyone would operate QRP from home with non-portable equipment when QRP portable lets you have "shack" views like this (from W4V/RA-016, aka Cove Mtn, aka Dragon's Tooth):
    IMG_20200822_145108794_HDR.jpg

Chris

KE8OKM, WD4ELG, N1RBD and 3 others like this.
  5. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with this. I operate QRP at home most days from my kitchen table more than anything else. I do plan to operate portable more often this year (trying my hand at POTA activating) and It'll be the same rig I use at home. I occasionally get asked where I'm operating from when the QRP subject comes up and most expect that I'm out portable somewhere. Many are often surprised when I tell them I'm in my kitchen. That usually leads to an enthusiastic conversation which I'm more than happy to engage in.

I want to add that this exercise in reviewing my gear and taking inventory has been helpful in planning for portable operations. I'm finding I have what's needed but there's some weak spots that I can address now rather than when I'm in the field. If nothing else it gives me an excuse to buy more gear and most of us can get on board with that!

WD4ELG and US7IGN like this.
  6. WD4ELG

Awesomeness

KI4POT likes this.
  7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

That is my favorite summit. Not only for the views, but for the hike up. You earn it. The last third or so is treacherous, with ladder rungs embedded into near vertical rock faces and a trail that sometimes follows along a ledge about a foot in width (with a vertical rock face on one side and a 10' drop on the other). It's only been activated twice, once by me (unsuccessfully). The first time honor goes to a local ham who successfully activated it in 2019. I hope to make another attempt this year. With what I've learned about portable operating in the past year, I should be successful this time around. :)

Chris

8. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Neat approach!

Going to load up for a short RV run. Taking your approach,
    Objectives: Small pack space, multi band, contest grade CW
    Probability of Contact: Very high
    Use Cases: RV trips, POTA activations
    Equipment: KX3, laptop, N1MM, MORTTY keyer, N0SA paddles, 40M end fed, crappie pole. Use RV battery.
    Set up time: 5 minutes
    Modes: CW
    Operating time at 25% duty cycle: Unlimited
    Category Usage: RV, QRP, POTA, Contest CW

The thing I really like about this is how it focuses on objective and how to get there.

Jim KF9VV

WD4ELG likes this.
  9. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

naked and afraid with only one weapon to choose, the swiss army knife 817ND/TXDiscovery will survive, the 705 will not.

10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't overthink i, just go out and have some fun.

At least you have several approaches you can try.
    I hope the work you