QRP on 10m SSB from the park and a whip antenna 1,362miles.

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by CA3FJK, Mar 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I started with 4 watts and started to lower it.

a whip on a metal fence tuned for 10m from the park with the KX2.

KP4SX, KB2SMS, N2ICZ and 2 others like this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

What whip were you using?

This is a good illustration to our Techs that 10m is a usable band in their license class.

Chris

3. CA3FJK

I was using the chameleon SS17 whip but as you see in the video a long whip isn't needed. I was using about 1/4 wave vertical more or less there, the metal fence helped as counterpoise.

KI4POT likes this.
  4. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't have it as your only band but when it opens 28 MHz is a lot of fun when out portable.

Some examples of QRP pedestrian mobile contacts.

KB2SMS, KC7JNJ and CA3FJK like this.
  5. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely done! I like working 10 meters QRP myself and wish more operators would try 10 meters routinely. Good job on the video as well.

CA3FJK likes this.
  6. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

I often call on ten, I was asked once in a qso why I was calling on a 'dead band', my reply was, "If everybody sit's and their backsides and listens to a dead band how on planet Earth ya' know it's gonna be open".

You bet if some DX came back they'd all be shouting at the same time creating havoc for all - it'd be bedlam.

I had great fun with a VFO driving a BFY51 on 160 CW.

Dave

K1CWB and CA3FJK like this.
  7. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm never "on the fence" about portable operation...
    I use a KX2 as a HT with whip antennas.

CA3FJK likes this.
  8. CA3FJK

you're right on. 10m its a very tricky band but with amazing openings. As part of my routine every time I turn on the radio I go check out 10m and make a couple of CQs.

I can tell you though if you look at the FT8 frequency is generally crowded, these days a lot of OPs prefer going to digital instead of SSB, which is completely fine though you can see hundreds of people on FT8 and 3 on SSB making QSOs.

For the record my first long distance DX was to Italy on 10m with an EndFed antenna, oh man that felt good.

9. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point, even if my usual indicators tell me 10 meters isn't open I'll put a few calls out there. Sometimes I get a chance to have a QSO with someone locally or regionally even if there's not an opening. That's one thing I think people miss out on (myself included) as 10 meters is a pretty reliable band locally and regionally so we may be missing out on some great local contacts. I find making contacts less than 100 miles away without using a repeater quite rewarding.

Often my quick go to looking for an opening is checking the 11 meters CB radio band. If I hear a lot of loud signals all on top of each other there's a pretty good chance 10 meters is also open to somewhere outside of the norm. Many if not most all band all mode HF rigs can listen on 11 meters. I also like to tune from 28.2 to 28.3 back and forth a couple times listening for beacons. When the band is closed I can't hear any beacons near or far so if I hear one or two I know again there's an opening of some sort. Even if there's no indication of an opening it doesn't hurt to call CQ for a couple minutes.

CA3FJK likes this.
  10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

10 M Fun
    I have a 3 el monobander Yagi up here and tune for the beacons (28.200-28.300) to see if there is a possibility for a QSO. Usually listen a few times in the daylight hours.
    If the band seems dead I will set up my memory keyer to send CQs for 15 seconds and listen for 15 seconds for a while and sometimes I get a reply !
    I started getting on 10 M in the late 60's and probably have more countries worked on 10 M than all the other bands combined !
    Worked CW, AM, SSB and FM on 10 M over the years !

CA3FJK likes this.