ad: M2Ant-1

QRP from home - what are you running?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3RN, Jan 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ7KNR

KJ7KNR Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a KX3 at home with a random wire running from my garage to my house, 15'-20' off the ground. The wire is a length of #16AWG TFFN left over from a spool at work. I installed a few pieces of ground rod spaced about 10' apart (the sphere of influence on a ground rod is about 4' so spacing them closer than 8' makes the second worthless) and a #6 solid copper conductor to a ground bar for my equipment/RF ground. With this setup I can reach PA and MA from Seattle.

On the road I use either the KX3 and a Buddipole. I've been fiddling with the Buddipole and have a few different ideas that I'll try out when it's a bit warmer.

2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What mode with that KX3?

3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I dialed my FTDX3000 down to 5w for the YBDX Contest, this past Saturday. I only worked for an hour or two, casually, and got 4 SSB contacts in the 1,500 to 3,000 mile range, from HL1ZIX to YB and Phils.

Tough condx...

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Heathkit HW-8, homebrew L-network tuner, 60' wire radiator outdoors with indoor 30' counterpoise.

Keying: Brown Brothers CTL-B or Vibroplex Original Standard.

5. KA5NLY

KA5NLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, let's see: My high power transceivers are Argonauts 509 and 515, 3 HW8's, and a HW9. Then I have a few low power rigs (Pixie, Frog Sounds, etc). Began as a new ham in 1982 with a HW8 kit that I built while I was studying Morse code to get ready for my license exam. Did mostly CW during the early years 'till I got the Argo 509, then prob. about 75-80% SSB. Worked both McMurdo and Scott stations in Anarctica on 20M SSB within about 3 hours one afternoon, a rather lengthy hike from Arkansas. I really do enjoy QRP and have never felt any need to go QRO.

EuGene

N4DJC likes this.
  6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Ran my Johnny Viking II on 3560 last night. Ran it at 5 watts during our ongoing QSO since the other chap was same pwr.

7. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HW-9 with MFJ 971 tuner and 28' wire.
    Thinking of selling it and using the LNR MTR3b for everything. Dont operate near as much as I used to

8. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Used my FT-450 for the NAQCC sprint last night. Did okay considering the awful conditions for the first hour. Between the filters and the contour control, I was really able to pull out some weak signals.

9. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

K-1 and K-2. For those with FT450s, you can go lower than 5W by feeding it some alc voltage. I use a 9V batt and pot to generate mine. I guess the same scheme would work on other radios with alc jacks.
    Mike N3PM

WW2PT likes this.
  10. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

k1 and k2 like local park activations, wx permitting.
    also use my chameleon mag loop.