QRP from home - what are you running?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3RN, Jan 10, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE1GA

VE1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

Oak Hills Research OHR-100 and Small Wonder Labs DSW. Both are 20M versions and use an indoor attic dipole from the present QTH.

F8WBD and K4KKQ like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a 1 tube 6sn7 rig.

KA5NLY and AD5HR like this.
  3. KA5NLY

KA5NLY Ham Member QRZ Page

KL7AJ
    Have you a schematic for a 100 - 500 milliwatt version of that 6SN7 rig or a different tube transmitter?

Smiff
    KA5NLY

4. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Same age maybe. I think I was 13 or so in 74. Wn5kvi

Jk

5. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a newer G90 and its quite good. version 1.75.
    I run it off a gel cell battery at 5 watts AM and people hear me on 80 meters.
    Helps to turn the AGC off, the radio sounds great on RX if you do.
    Fun stuff.

I used to run a single 6146 transmitter out of the 69 handbook, but that was 30 watts....

6. KI5CAW

KI5CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Still trying for a QSO with my two transistor 600 mW TX. I can often hear it on the Utah SDR (500 miles away) and I even have some RBN spots, but as of yet no answers to my CQs. I promise to keep trying.

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently set up an op position in my living room, rigs on the coffee table. (No XYL QRM, she's a SK)
    I put up my 132' MFJ EFHW running it up a 20' pole then into one attic window then out the other.
    A tree in my neighbor's front yard is the end point and it's working really well even at 5w or less..
    Rigs are a TS-570 dialed bk to low output which is 5w. It's fitted with the 270Hz filter. FB RX the 570.
    My other rig is a Xiegu G-90 on a 100ah LiFePo and recharging using the power supply for the TS570.

KE8OKM likes this.
  8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

How about some QRP AM with the 4states qrp Nouveau 75 tranciever?
    5 or 6 watts carrier, efficient class D design, works fantastic after a few simple mods.
    [​IMG]
    Fantastic kit!

K1CWB likes this.
  9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's my list of QRP rigs, most of them built by me:

Homebrew triband rig consisting of Dave Benson Small Wonder SW40+, SW30+. and SW20+ series boards. This rig began life as three different radios until I combined them in one enclosure and connected them to a multipole, 4-position switch. Installed in a large old CB enclosure.
    BitX20a 20m SSB kit built into a CB enclosure.
    Wilderness SST for 20m, very simple radio with few parts. This one I carry in a camera bag with gel cell battery, CW paddles, antenna, & accessories, a "shack in a bag" ready to go for outings in the park or wherever.
    A 40m "Frankenrig" consisting of an NS-40 xmitter, prototype VRX-1 DC receiver, keyer and homebrew T/R switch. Started out as a single frequency rig on 7.122, but recently modified it to switch between 7.122 and 7.030 crystals so I can now switch between both frequencies. Built into an old junk crystal scanner enclosure.
    An MFJ9015, my first 15 meter QRP rig. Modified by installing a keyer in it.
    A Cricket 80, 750mW CW transceiver built into a small wooden box. I actually have made contacts on such low power with this rig.
    A Pixie 80 meter rig built and installed into an actual ham tin. I don't think I ever made any contacts on this one, built it mainly for show. That is, putting an actual ham radio into an actual ham tin. But it does work.

Built but never came to life yet: A Rose 80, a 5W 80m CW rig. Built years ago and works great except that it doesn't transmit or receive. It's something I pull out once in a while to work on when I'm not feeling aggravated enough. At least the VFO and audio chain work OK.

In the works: A Cobra 29 23 channel CB being converted to a 10m QRP CW rig. Conversion was fairly easy, currently working on building a 455 kHz BFO for it to be able to hear the CW signals. I want to turn the delta tune control into a "slider," or VFO, but not sure how to do that yet and still having trouble finding information online on how to do it. But even if I can't figure it out I'll have several rockbound frequencies on 10m to use.

F8WBD likes this.
  10. K4KKQ

K4KKQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an old ham
    who still tunes the bands with his old radio
    ... listening in the night sky.
    -,-, --,-
    CW is the Real Thing in Ham Radio.
    -,-, --,-
    It is The Original Mode !

... Like Navigating by the Stars !
    FCC Commercial and Amateur Rig_K4KKQ_HW8_setup_for_weak_signal_ops_5_.JPG