QRP from home - what are you running?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3RN, Jan 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I alternate between my FT-450D (set at 5 watts), an MFJ 9200 and an MFJ 9040. I really like the old 9040, but it can be a bit tempermental. The DSP options in the 450 can really bring out the weak signals, but it took me a while to figure them out... Just curious to see what others are running for QRP at their home stations.

KA5NLY likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Here's my list of primary rotating QRP CW rigs:

Heathkit HW-7 [seldom used but I built it new when I was 13 in 1974 and have worked 30+ states over the years]
    Heathkit HW-8 [secondary]
    Heathkit HW-9 [primary - totally solid QRP rig - one of the best out there IMO]
    Elecraft K1 20/40 [picnics]
    Elecraft KX1 20/40 [picnics]
    MFJ-9200 w/all modules [picnics]

And in the peanut gallery just for kicks, I have a whole range of Pixie, Frog Sounds & the like - maybe 10 or so

When I get in the "QRP mood" it sorta takes over from time to time :)

I've never owned a QRP SSB or FT8 rig - only CW

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO likes this.
  3. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My SGC SG-2020, which is max 25 watts CW on the lower bands but only 15 watts or so on the higher bands, is my primary "Base Station" rig. My FT-817ND is standing by for 60 meters, which the SG does not do. No QRO rig at all. Maybe someday.

72/73,
    Al

4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, nice selection of rigs! I have an HW-7 here, but it decided to quit working and I haven't been able to bring it back to life. And like you, I'm CW only when I work QRP. I'll run a little more power for FT4/FT8, but I use my IC-746 for that. The 746 also has a mic plugged into it, but I don't use it....

5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

K3 @ 5w (100w for ATNOs and 80m only).
    KX2 @5w.
    ...plus a few other QRP rigs that don’t get used right now (KX1, Flex 1500, HW-9). I too am CW only now, but have made phone and digital contacts in the past with 1-5w. Antenna du jour: Ultimax 100 end-fed (24’ vertical wire).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  6. G4LJW

G4LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a K2 on CW and FT8, and possibly one contact on SSB!

7. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had a lot of them over the years, K1, K2 (two of them), Sierra, Peabury sdr kit, xg90 (yuk), mchf (fantastic) KX2 (great) KX3 (ok),
    various ten tec radios, flex 1500, Youkits hb 1-b (really nice), HW8 (two), Yaesu ft817nd and others.

Top picks, mcHF, KX2, Sierra, hb1-b.
    Top pick, mcHF.
    Money no object, the KX2,
    Best buy, HB1B.

Worst picks:
    FT817, menu, micro screen
    XG90, menu, micro screen and buttons, bad audio.
    1500, usb delay.

WW2PT likes this.
  8. DF1HX

DF1HX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Happy user of an Elecraft KX3, CW only...
    NO phone, NO digimodes!
    Operation is portable style, antenna is MP1 with a large telescopic whip from MFJ on my penthouse patio.
    Pics on my page here...
    Cheers and 73s, thomas

F8WBD, N7BDY, KU3X and 2 others like this.
  9. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your 2020 should do 60M. I have one and have listened down there. It may not be in one of the memories, but you can dial it in.

10. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

RX yes, TX no.