ad: Amateur-1

QRP experiment from local hill top 2el.Yagi for 10m cq ww ssb?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by CA3FJK, Nov 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the parts for some time and thought I'd test the 2 element yagi.
    The difficult part was to carry "most" of the station in a 2 hours hike up hill for "the experiment".

I am used to ruck 50lbs in regular terrain but 40lbs up hill its a complete different game, so I took it easy since the first climb to save legs for the rest of the mission.

I was carrying a complete buddipole in the outside of the backpack, a laptop, some food, water, gatorade, and the will to see how this antenna will perform. As plan B I was carrying the trail friendly endfed.

As I had scouted previously the ground was rocky but had no many other options but to give it a go, the mast was short, there was no shade but hey.... I had a mission and I was curious to see how that antenna would perform at 5w.

100F+ heat was the problem but my goal was at least 15 contacts and packed up at 17. East and West coast were coming pretty strong and I managed a QSO to Bosnia and Herzegovina which I thought it was Spain for the call sign E7AA.

all in all, It was fun but next time I'd make sure I'd replace the 2 pounds of food for the 2 pounds of the tarp. :)

N3AWS, KE8OKM, KC7JNJ and 2 others like this.
  2. 2E0TKT

2E0TKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great videos and what lovely scenery to QRP!