QRP definition change ?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W5BIB, Dec 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I regularly will operate QRP CW on 80m using a Viking 2 which is capable of 130 watts output. On 40 I run a Kenwood TS530 at times. I also own and use small and portable QRP gear.
    I find it curious the on-going notion that QRP operating seemingly requires restricting the equipment to being pint sized and portable.
    No matter what the equipment is it's still QRP at 5 watts output or less.
    I don't believe in changing long held and standard definitions for QRP and QRPp. It would serve no purpose other than disruption and confusion.
    Hope to work you soon using low power here, beit a big rig or peanut whistle, I have both and I don't think you can tell by listening to me, hi hi.
    VY 72/73

2. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran my Omni VI and my Omni VI+ at 5 watts all the time. It was easy, with a power control right on the panel. With the terrific receiver and superior ergonomics of the Omni's, it was a great set up.

3. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

I never sign/QRP and I often times use 10-15 watts when using the K2, or the KX3 from home. I consider that low power. I guess it does not matter it is sort of a personal thing. I make a point of trying to win the VA QSO party every year in the QRP category. It might tip the scales if I was at 5 and some others were at 10. 10 would help with our current bad conditions, but I will stick with 5 and lower my expectations.5w from a picnic table means I usually don't have to worry about lugging extra batteries.

After reading this post, Im not sure I said anything helpful, I will post it anyway

4. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP = 5w or under for CW 10W or less SSB
    QRPP = 1w or less
    Don't think it needs to change and to be honest to me anything under 10-15w I consider QRP. I run 7w or less pretty much all the time and only just last year got a hardrock 50, I still have a blast and that's what counts.

David
    N8DAH

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

On SSB, QRO is anything over 1.5 KW and QRP is anything less than 200 W. QRPP is less then 100 W and anything less than 5 Watts is seldom heard..., and often ignored... ...( :p ) this applies mostly to 75 and 20M band operation.

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm trying!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo