ad: Alphaant-1

QRP definition change ?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W5BIB, Dec 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

My snapshot is from my iPod Touch.

It shows up in QRP Corner in my Windows tablet and my Android tablet, not in my iPod Touch.

I seldom use the Windows tablet or the Android tablet, reserved for software that will only run on those operating systems.

I almost always use my iPod touch, I carry in my pocket.

Weird.

Maybe the QRZ forum's "mobile display" is the problem?

Do you know who at the QRZ forums to tell?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

wierder things have happened

4. W7CJD

I would like it to work on my iPod Touch.

QRP is "my thing".

I almost never use my Windows or Android tablets.

I have them only for specific radio amateur software, and one or two other software.

5. W7CJD

Now, the Android tablet has the same problem as iPod: QRP Corner lists 4 discussions, in fine print, however only shows three.

6. W7CJD

Now, my Windows tablet has the same problem displaying QRP Corner, as my iPod Touch.

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Maybe you need a preamp.

Are you getting the QRO stuff OK?

8. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I highly recommend the book "History of QRP in the US 1924-1960" by Adrian WeissW0RSP.
    It gives a good historical perspective of low power operation including the question of what constitutes QRP.

9. KG4LLQ

KG4LLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting thread. I think most organizations/groups classify what is QRP or QRPp. If not, then I think that would clarify the issue.
    For me, I define QRP as 5 watts down to 1 watt. QRPp as less than 1 watt. Anything above 5 watts is QRO. Again, that's just how I classify my operation (CW only). I operate very often with my Heath HW-8 on 40 and 20 meters. On 40 the output is about 2.25 watts and on 20 it is 1.75 watts (OHR meter tested). I also use an OHR-100/40 and OHR-100/20 (5 watts out). I've found that in most cases, my HW-8 will do the job as well as a 5 watt transceiver/transmitter. Last week I got an RST579 with a friend I have a weekly sked with on 20 meters in the afternoon using my HW-8. He lives in Iowa and I am in NC.
    I also have two Rockmites (one 40 and 0ne 20) and found they need good band conditions to have a good 2-way QSO. Presently with conditions as they are, that is a challenge. But, I remember several years ago, that the Rockmites had no trouble getting answers to CQs. Well, that was then and this is now! Get active Mr. Sun!
    But, regardless of your feelings about where QRP or QRPp power limits should be, operating with 5 watts and less is so much fun.
    73, Ken - KG4LLQ

KP4SX likes this.
  10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel the same way. About 90% of my operating last year was QRP, because 5 watts was the maximum power for the particular radio I was using at the moment. I don't really see the point of using a 100 watt rig with the power turned down to 5 watts. It's still taking up the same amount of space on my desk, and it's still using (almost) as much AC power.

Most of my operating is QRP because I do it at locations where a small rig and battery power are required. If I could turn the radio up to 6 watts, I probably would. But since 5 watts is what I have, and since it works fine using 5 watts, that's what I use.