QRP definition change ?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W5BIB, Dec 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How about using ERP? That accounts for the antennas. Maybe not for casual operating but it would seem proper in contests.

AF6WL and KC9UDX like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kinda difficult to estimate antenna gain unless its a factory made antenna operating under lab conditions!
    The whole idea behind operating QRP is not to intentionally have a weak signal - its to see what you can do with low xmtr power. Like hooking it up to a big beam on a mountaintop :)

4. KK4NSF

I was thinking a huge 80m QUAD..... on top of Look-out Mountain! you can "See Seven States" from there.... or so I've been told.

5. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

Listening on the air I get the idea that some operators consider 100 watts to be QRP.
    Anytime they operate without their legal limit + amp they are QRP.
    Personally if I say I am running QRP, I am running less than 5 watts.

I remember once while trying to get a DX station that was under a pile-up. I was getting ready warming up the amp. I had tuned it perfectly into the dummy load and switched it online when the DX op called for " QRP " nations only. After he did that it was like the band went dead. So I thought, what the heck ..... Amp = OFF ....... turned transmitter down to low as it could go and gave him a call. He came right back to me.

It was only after the contact that I realized I had the TX down to about 2-3 watts.

To me QRP will always be less than 5 watts.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5 Watts CW and most digi modes, 10 w PEP SSB. Not 10 watts average with 40 W peaks!

Honestly, the proliferation of popular 10 watt rigs might render this definition obsolete. But, I would not want
    newcomers to assume that they need over 10 watts all the time.

I never cease to be amazed at what we do with some of our digital modes. Last night, on my 80 meter digital net, I had checkins from 5 states, the two furthest were Florida and PA.. The Florida station was running 20 watts, I think - and I was running about 40. It was very solid copy, even using a fairly fast Olivia 4/500 protocol. I often have people check into my net running 5 watts, and they are solid even if I can't hear them or see them on the waterfall.

My antenna for 80 is a droopy dipole that peaks at about 40 feet on the roof of a somewhat noisy house.

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I always though the idea of QRP was to voluntarily accept a 5 watt limit, even if your radio could put out more.

8. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

It is my understanding the correct terminology for a 100 watt transceiver runing at 100 watts is running "barefoot".

I am not seeing this thread there.

Attached Files:

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I get 150W barefoot.. maybe more.

10. KK4NSF

that's odd. It's showing up fine on my computer.