QRP definition change ?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W5BIB, Dec 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the market offering so many portable rigs capable of up to 10 watts output, I'd like to see the terminology
    for QRP changed as follows:

QRPO ~ 10-50 watts output.
    QRP ~ 5-10 watts output or less.
    QRPP ~ 5 watts or less output.

Many of the old "boat anchor" rigs; DX-20, many Tentec units, Heathkits would fall into the QRPO category.

JMHO - comments?-

Steve. (HW-8, HW-9, AT-1, Century-21, Century-22, K-1(4), HW-16, Johnson Viking Ranger)

W8ZNX likes this.
  2. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought QRP was 1-5 watts and QRP was less than a watt? That's the way the NAQCC defines the terms for QRP contest operations.

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

"Let sleeping dogs lie"

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is. (I fixed that QRPP for ya).
    I just thought that by expanding the categories of "QRP", it might encourage more operators to participate in "low power" operations. Some of the old "tube" transmitters are rated @ 15 to 30 or 40 watts output & should have a category of "QRP" to operate without "DE-tuning".
    With the band conditions on the down-turn, it's increasingly more difficult (if not impossible) to operate QRPP as it's currently defined. :(

Steve (NAQCC #6496)

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

The sentiment is reasonable, but good luck getting widespread agreement, especially for a change in what's been established.

I thought QRPp usually meant less than a Watt, and QRP meant 5W or less. But even those power levels seem somewhat flexible, and not so hard and fast.

If you want to make fine distinctions, it seems like antenna selection, band, and mode play at least as big a role as raw output power measurement in determining how "QRP" a station or QSO is. 10W of SSB seems pretty "QRP-ish" for SSB.

Personally, I think QRP isn't so much about a specific power level, but more about a philosophy of doing more with less. Simple radios, simple antennas, portable, homebrew, low-cost, improvised, etc. My KD1JV tri-bander seems to be a QRP radio, even though it makes as much as 6 or 7W output power, because it's an inexpensive, kit-built, tiny, CW-only radio with minimal controls.

WJ5G and AI6KX like this.
  6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as I understand it, the current definition of QRP is 5w or less for CW, and 10w or less for SSB. I think that's reasonable, mainly because I use 10w on SSB all the time.

BUT adding addtional suffixes QRPp or maybe QRPssb does make some sense.

However, I'm never one to be "rules lawyer" except for maybe for competitions.... so if someone uses 6.5w on CW, I'd still consider hime to be QRPish.

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, you could not classify or reclassify it, but just state what it is. "Running 1/2W here." Why do we need multiple classifications? For a contest, instead of saying QRPp or whatever, just state, "Station less than 1W - category A. Less than 10W, category B".

Plain communications sometimes is the best way.

Steve
    KV6O

W8LGZ, KU4X and KK4NSF like this.
  8. KK4NSF

Steve, i like that idea..... maybe simply state "QRP 5w" or "QRP 10w" for SSB. It's simple, and easy to understand.

9. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

But once you state the power level, there's no need to even say "QRP". I remember operating with a friend who was testing a rig, and my friend mentioned in an SSB QSO that he was "QRP with 10 W". The other party told him on no uncertain terms that 10W SSB is double the QRP limit. Argh! This was just a short informal QSO, not part of any contest or operating event. My friend should have just said "10W" and let the listener categorize that power level however he wants.

For contests, awards, and the like, if you establish a QRP or QRPp category, then you do need to draw an explicit and distinct line somewhere, because people are always trying to push the limits while staying within whatever rules are established. I'll let those who establish the contests and awards hash that out. But for everyday discussion? It's like asking what qualifies as a "light lunch", or a "small car", or "inexpensive lodging".

KU4X and W8ZNX like this.
  10. KK4NSF

I think this is the real "Spirit of QRP". Other than for Contests, does it really matter where the exact limits of "QRP" are defined?

KU4X and W5BIB like this.