QRP autotuner options?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N0FN, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

The Elecraft T1 is a nifty autotuner.

There are a number of QRP tuners that use a LED.

If you can see it in bright sunlight in your pocket or in your waistpack worn in front with your transceiver or on the backpack shoulder strap pocket, for example, it is about as automatic as it gets.

I like this one, on the antenna wire after the counterpoise.

KA0USE, BD5QCE and KC7JNJ like this.
  2. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not so. The ZM-2 uses coax to the rig (as does the T1), but it has both coax out and banana/ binding posts along with a "GND/LINK" switch setting.

I have both a ZM-2 and T1. I like them both! T1 is smaller, but ZM-2 doesn't require a battery. T1 is fast and simple; ZM-2 is a bit fiddly as you need to tweedle both knobs simultaneously and the SWR nulls are VERY sharp. If fast/simple was my main concern I'd go with the T1; if ultimate reliability is a bigger factor, ZM-2 would be my choice as it's unpowered and has simple discrete components.

KC7JNJ and WW2PT like this.
  3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used my ZM-2 to setup a loop in the park feeding it with ladder line. with a short run of coax from the tuner to the radio.

4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

don't forget to drag a counterpoise.
    if you're going to change bands on the move, make a multi-tail counterpoise.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  6. KA0USE

then there's http://www.alexloop.com/index.html

[​IMG]
    it clips onto the co-ax. available from dxengineering: https://www.dxengineering.com/search?keyword=alextune&SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending

7. KA0USE

THIS is funny, cute, easy and yes, kinda sexy!

8. KC2BNW

KC2BNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I have a ham radio go bag which houses several different radios but i have a elecraft atu 1 and it works great. THis is the video I took before upgrading my kit with the auto tuner. hopefully it gives you some ideas. Instead of mounting the radio on my back its off to the side and I can carry it while hiking or camping with a regular backpack full food and water survival gear etc.. I remember when i was looking for a portable setup I was thinking about where I was going to put my other essential items. This is the only thing I could come up with was placing my radio in a sling bag like the vanquest mobius 2.0 Now You can shave weight off the bag and just carry the hf rig ( yaesu 817, Battery, Solar panel, Atu, mic, and antenna) instead of all the other stuff I carry in it. I wanted a modular system i could carry with or without a backpack. I wish you luck on deciding on an atu.