QRP and sunshades

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC7JNJ, Jul 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Since QRP ops are known to get into the field a bit I will ask this here. Over field day I realized I need some sort of easy to pack, easy to use sunshade. I have been leaning towards some sort of batwing tarp setup. Something like the below photo. Do any of you have something you like to use you might suggest?
    4264321D-261F-49F3-8169-E4A01267E726.jpeg

K7WFM likes this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Git ya sum "ROSE Colored Gasses" ;):p - (John Conlee - 1978)

[​IMG]

K8ZFJ likes this.
  3. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's one that I tried.

I was able to fold it down into its package a few times but it got harder and eventually I couldn't.

But if you could get one that was easier to pack up then it would be good.

WD4ELG, W7UUU and K7WFM like this.
  4. KC7JNJ

But that does nothing for the monkey butt (bald spot) forming on the back of my head. :p

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    K8ZFJ, KB2SMS and W5BIB like this.
  5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll bet it's hard to find one in Los Angeles or San Francisco ! ;)

[​IMG]

KI5WW and KC7JNJ like this.
  6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Just make sure whatever you get will be allowed if you frequent state and national parks. Local town and city parks, probably not a big deal.

Only reason I mention it is that many ops that participate in parks on the air have reported not being allowed to simply put a tripod on the ground by park rangers. Others won't allow anything that punctures the ground or tethered to trees.

Just thought I would mention it in case it might help.

7. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

KC7JNJ and AJ6KZ like this.
  8. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W4CDO, K7WFM and KC7JNJ like this.
  9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

That batwing tarp would work, as would Eno's Housefly tarp, which gives you a bit more coverage (almost as much as a pup tent without a floor). If you don't have trees around you, you can use hiking poles as your end supports.

There are smaller tarps, used for hammock camping, that would give you "good enough" coverage and be lighter.

All of my camping is hammock camping, I'm setting up these sorts of shelters often.

Small and light option:
    IMG_20200306_154649066.jpg

Eno Housefly, the ends close up like a tent:
    IMG_20210612_180321740.jpg

Chris

WN1MB, KC7JNJ and K7WFM like this.
  10. KC7JNJ

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. Right now I have a Colman 60sec 10man tent. But in 90 to 100° it really gets hot even opened all the way up. So I will try a tarp with poles. It will allow a bunch of air through, and I can adjust it as the sun moves. @KK9W thanks for the info on the parks. I have enough mountain tops around here to hit without messing with park rangers. Going to have to start “pickups on mountain tops on the air “lol. POMTOTA

BAF1A8E6-35F7-4E2D-8B7C-B5DEAC3F590A.jpeg