QRP amp.. Which one???

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by K8TDN, Apr 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course you can. I still find that pretty irrelevant.

And there's the matter of time and trouble to erect said antenna. If I've got, say, two hours to operate, I don't want to spend 1/2 of it struggling to get a line over the right tree branch and hoisting up my antenna. If I'm staying a couple of nights that, of course, is different.

KG5BJV likes this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I dunno Roger, I understand but I can string up a wire in just a few minutes. I timed myself on occasion and ten minutes was my worst time.

I wonder how much time it takes to setup a tripod, assemble and screw together the various parts, coils etc. of another portable antenna compared to throwing up a plain wire dipole?

[​IMG]

Vs.

my_qrp_dipole.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

LOVE the cows! but that's moo-t to the subject.

4. WA7WJR

WA7WJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To setup my Buddipole & K2/100 kit it took under 15 minutes to get on the air on the rooftop of my operating location in Vung Tau, Vietnam. That's getting everything out of the NorthFace bag to the first CQ without trying to rush things. It took less than 2 minutes to change the taps on the loading coils when switching bands from 20m to 40m.
    IMG_2353.JPG

I personally like the portability, esp. wrt international travel, ability to setup virtually anywhere (beach, rooftop, backyard, mountain, etc), and setup a vertical, dipole, 'v', or NVIS antenna without much fuss. Of course, it comes at a cost compared to a couple of sticks and a wire.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    KG5BJV likes this.
  5. KG5BJV

KG5BJV Ham Member QRZ Page

I would rather use my end fed efhw8010 wire antenna than a compromise at my home location. It takes only 15 mins max to put it up, I dont need to take it down to adjust and put it back up when changing bands swr is good on all bands. Its the best antenna I can use thats not a permanant installation that Im able to put up and take down quickly. Its only 14ft high one end and about 6ft low end and works so much better than a compromise and Im qrp 5watts.

WA7WJR likes this.
  6. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

The question of 'taking a lot of time ' to erect an antenna came-up. Actually, this can be very quick for even an efficient end fed half wave wire,

or even for a linked dipole -

both quite good antennas and very inexpensive to build or even to buy.

Both of the above would have been better if accompanied by the theme music from Monty Pythons Flying Circus ...

...Try using THE music link above, then start the SOTAbeams videos - muuuuch better :)

73 while you are /p

>Ray

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018