QRP amp.. Which one???

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by K8TDN, Apr 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very well written, neighbor. Should be mandatory reading at all exams, Tech thru Extra.

I've been practicing my sending, so the next time we QSO you might actually be able to copy me.

Al

2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course antennas are best. But there are physical and often legal (now) constraints on them. Not everyone can put up a more effective antenna than they have, even if it isn't very good. They may be doing the best they can with the space and situation they have to work with. That leaves power.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Pedantic is my middle name.

Aye. But what he meant and what he entitled the post with are two different things. I'll stop picking nits now.

Had a 505, 509, and 405. Made hundreds of contacts both barefoot and with the boots. Fun, fun stuff. Sorry I got rid of the original 505/405 combo. Thanks for the helpful linkage!

72/73,
    Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT
    http://alienjeff.net

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

A 20m meter inverted V doesn't take up very much physical space. Even a common driveway space can accommodation one. The point being about the available "physical space"

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

But it's not QRP...but it is fun. Try improving your antenna though, you'll be surprised.

6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

kitsandparts.com has a new 5w amp you can build for about $30....I plan on using it with my new Norcal 40 build project...

7. WD4IGX

Um, yes, so?

8. KC8VWM

The point is people are clamping dummy load antennas attached to a table beside the rig and are using an amplifier, instead of hanging up a more effective wire from a telescopic painters pole or in a tree at the same location.

For example, look at all the trees around this setup that you could easily string up a very long wire vertical or end fed antenna instead.

trees.jpg

And similarly what's up with this?

Here we have a gazzilion trees all around but let's use a dummy load hamstick on a tripod and an amplifier instead? A piece of ordinary wire going straight up the side of the tree beside this tripod would actually be a more effective antenna.

QRP-Ham-Radio-Set-up.jpg

How much trouble would it have been to carry a telescopic painters pole and a roll of wire in your pocket to string up a full sized inverted V here instead?

Garden 1.jpg

So as you can see, it's not about any available space, rather it's about using effective antennas in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    KA0USE likes this.
  9. WD4IGX

Maybe they are. But MY point is that your 20m dipole example isn't exactly a 5 El yagi at 70' either. A simple dipole may be the best someone can do.

Nothing wrong with amplifiers.

10. KC8VWM

You're missing the point. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with amplifiers.

What I am saying is that I can seriously outperform any dummy load ham stick on a tripod that is connected to a 100 watt amplifier, by simply using a 5 watt rig connected to a full sized inverted V dipole antenna instead.

Besides, how many inverted V's require large portable battery packs to power up and operate them?